Water Softner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
We just started our 29G tank. I have a active filter from angelplus in the tank for cycling and purchased 2 platy's and 2 swordtails today. We just discovered that the faucet in our laundry room which filled the tank comes from our water softner. Our water is very hard but I do not have current measurements for it. Is this going to be an issue? Our PH is 8.2-8.4.

It is an issue. That PH is where you'd want saltwater aquariums, not freshwater. How long did you have the tank cycling? If you didn't let it go for a month at minimum, you're going to have some biological problems down the road. As for the ph, you need to lower it, and whenever you do water changes, you need to lower the ph for you fish.

My question is more based on whether the softned water is a problem. According to liveaquaria swordtails and platy's are good in water of a ph of 8.2. The tank is not cycled because I purchased an active filter from angelplus and talked to the owner who told me to add some fish to do fish in cycling. I have read that other people have had no issues cycling this way so we decided to give it a try.

It is an issue. That PH is where you'd want saltwater aquariums, not freshwater. How long did you have the tank cycling? If you didn't let it go for a month at minimum, you're going to have some biological problems down the road. As for the ph, you need to lower it, and whenever you do water changes, you need to lower the ph for you fish.

I agree and disagree. I agree with the cycling statement. Although I believe the OP was doing a fish-in cycle.

I also agree/disagree with the statement that the OP needs to change the pH. It depends on what you want to keep. If you want to keep/breed South American cichlids like Rams or Angelfish, yes. You will need to change it. That pH and hardness is perfect for keeping/breeding African Cichlids though!

Most fish prefer a stable pH to survive. PH swings are more likely to kill a fish then living in a stable high pH.

So on the one hand his high ph can be bad, but on the other it can still work out. I guess it just depends in what you stock. Always do your research before stocking to make sure they can live at your ph level. And as for cycling with fish, it can work, but for a first tank I wouldn't suggest it. I tried it and am still battling the effects 2 months in.

Hello hyper...

Unless you want to keep and breed rare fish, a pH between 6.5 and 8.5 is tolerable for most aquarium fish. Fish are very adaptable and you shouldn't have a problem. Just keep the tank water pure with large weekly water changes and introduce some easy to keep plants like Anubias, Java Fern and Pennywort. These will help keep the tank water cleaner and make the fish feel at home.

B

Many livebearers actually prefer hard water/high pH. Platies and swordtails should do well for you.

As for the cycling, the OP is using a seeded filter to get things started. I've done this many, many times with my own tanks (although I have never ordered the seeded filter, just used media from my other tanks). It shouldn't take long at all.

Thank you for all the replies, it has been very helpful. No one commented on the softned water. I am assuming that it's OK that we used the water from the softner.

I have soft water. KH of 2 and GH of 6 on average. PH around 6.8-7.2. My swordtails have been fine and breed regularly. I also have a few platies and a Molly and never had a problem. Hope that eases your mind.

Thank you for all the replies, it has been very helpful. No one commented on the softned water. I am assuming that it's OK that we used the water from the softner.

I've never used water from a water softener. As long as it doesn't add strange chemicals you should be ok.

Your question about the water softener wasn't addressed, yet. A water softener works by exchanging sodium ions for cacium ions, there by lessening the amount of calcium in your water, hence it is considered softer. However, I believe the ratio is two sodium ions are added for every calcium removed (correct me if I am wrong), so, the amount of total dissolved solids in the water may in fact increase.I know more than a few people who use softened water, but personally would try to avoid it, and use the unsoftened water. Don't worry about the pH, I have bred angels at pH over 8.2. The advice of keeping the water clean is good. Frequent water changes are more likely to keep the tank water and tap water similar, meaning more stability.

Back
Top Bottom