Water test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a fully cycled tank just added four ghost shrimp yesterday and now nitrites are at 1.0ppm and ammonia is at 0ppm nitrates are at 10ppm is this normal after adding new animals to aquariums never noticed this when adding other fish Im not sure where to place this post

I don't think you are cycled... if you were you would have 0ppm ammonia and nitrite. ghost shrimp, especially 4, are not going to cause a spike like that. they have such a minimal bio-load you can have dozens of them in small tanks.

Did you just do a big pwc? If your tap water has chloramines, it shows up as ammonia on your test kit. If you used a dechlor (like Prime) it renders the ammo non toxic, but will still show up as a false positive until the bio filter has a chance to gobble it up.

did a test to day ammonia 0ppm nitrites 0ppm nitrates 10ppm i think i did the test wrong

Did you just do a big pwc? If your tap water has chloramines, it shows up as ammonia on your test kit. If you used a dechlor (like Prime) it renders the ammo non toxic, but will still show up as a false positive until the bio filter has a chance to gobble it up.

That wouldn't cause a reading for nitrites though ;)

did a test to day ammonia 0ppm nitrites 0ppm nitrates 10ppm i think i did the test wrong
That's good to hear. Any time I get a test that seems off, I test twice more with two different tubes to make sure it was my bad

Back
Top Bottom