Water test results are in!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I had to go to 3 LFS's before getting accurate results. First one used API but the testing area was really dark and he didn't let the solutions sit at all. Second one used test strips so I disregarded results anyway. Third one, an actual aquarium shop, was done properly:

PH = 6.5
Ammonia = .5
NitrIte = 0
NitrAte = 0

Last pwc was done on Monday, about 40%. So, it looks like my tank is not cycled yet. Tank has been set up since 3/13.

The third LFS was where I initially bought my betta. He said I should stop doing pwc's for about a month and let the ammonia spike happen, etc., and that my betta would be fine. I don't believe him though. Ammonia over .5 is going to distress my fish!

SO. Advice? Start the hunt for bio-Spira? Decrease (not stop) number of pwcs or % changed and do it the long way? Be ok with ammonia levels up to .5 so the good bacteria grows faster?

While your cycle may finish up sooner if you stop the water changes, it will more likely expose your betta to dangerous levels. It's not at all uncommon for the cycle to take six weeks or more, although I'd expect to see Nitrite showing up by now. If you're doing so many water changes that the Ammonia levels are nearly 0 it could be that you're preventing the cycle from occurring. I'd only do water changes when Ammonia or Nitrite levels get above 0.5ppm.

If it were me, I'd just stick to water changes as necessary. You don't have a large bioload, so I don't think you're going to see anything shoot out of whack like you would if you had a tank full of cichlids or something.

In order not to stress Corwin further, I would look for an additive. Bio-Spira works well but I haven't been able to go to the lfs I got it from a few years ago. When I set up my new tanks after I moved, I used a product from Seachem called Stability. It did help. I also had live plants in the tank so I don't know how Stability works on its own. Stability is cheaper than Bio-Spira and has a longer shelf life. You could consider getting some Stability if you find you're still doing a lot of water changes.

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. I do think I've been going a bit overboard with the water changes. When I was doing research about fish-in cycling, the advice was to keep the ammonia at 0 so as not to harm the fish. But it seems that this is also effectively preventing the tank from cycling. So I think I will ease up a bit, do smaller water changes once a week and hope that speeds things up. I'll keep testing everyday and make sure the ammonia and nitrite don't go over .5ppm. I am going to get some java fern soon as well.

I'm not familiar with Stability, Deb, I'll have to do a little research. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be able to find bio-spira locally. I called about 10 places today with no luck.

Looks like I'll have to do it the hard way and hope it isn't too much stress on him.

I cycled with Bio Spira and still had ammonia spikes. I solved the problem by borrowing a large sponge filter from a cycled tank. My ammonia dropped to zero overnight. Do you know anyone who can lend you something from a cycled tank (floss, filter pad, etc.)? If so, make sure they haven't had any sick fish. If not, is there a local club who could give you a contact? I sent a panicky email to a man who turned out to be the president of the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society and he was quick to help out.

Back
Top Bottom