WC questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been running my stocked tank for over a year now. I normally do water changes sunday, wednesday and friday. After talking to another hobbyist that had been keeping fish for 34 years he said I am doing to many water changes and recommended I cut back to once a month. I am about to upgrade to a much bigger tank but right now my 10 gal has 3 long finned zebra danios, 3 salt and pepper cory cats, 2 neon tetras, a dwarf gournami, a mini oto and a snail. I personally think for that amount I should be doing atleast 2 a week but then again I am still an infant to the hobby.

I think 50% a week would be sufficient.

Are you testing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? That will tell you if it is time for a water change or if you can get by longer.

I do at least 30% weekly on my 10 and 55. Sometimes once more one my 55 just bc I hate seeing fish doo on my white sand!! In my 20g I do about 20-25% as I am only housing divided bettas and a school of four tetras. I agree with the previous that 50% weekly would be fine for your 10 as long as you are testing your water:)

In my 75 gallon African Cichlid tank I do 50% water change every weekend. And I run a fx5 and a AC110.

I do a 50% pwc every Saturday on my 75g SA&never miss one..would have to believe that a once a month pwc wouldn't be sufficient as your nitrates would most likely get out of hand..it is your setup&from your xp you know how often your pwc's are needed..go with your gut&do what's within your own comfort level..

It depends on the situation, really. I have high nitrates in my tap so I do 2-3 50% water changes per week, to make sure nitrates don't get too high. Plus, I am OCD about fish poop on the sand. :lol:

For my 2 10g & 46g tanks I do 50% water changes weekly. I know a person who only does a water change when his water level drops to a certain point, makes no sense to me but it works for him. Personally, I think it's better to at least do a weekly water change, FRESH WATER makes the fish happy, IMO.

I honestly had not been testing lately since we were in the process of moving however I did this morning and my Nitrates were 10-20ppm. Stinking colors are so close you cant tell them apart. I think I am going to bump back to once a week since it has been a week since I did a wc. So 50% WC every Saturday. Another question. I normally add about half a dose of aquarium salt when I do a wc. I recently added corys to my mix and when I added the dissolved in tank water salt mix they went bananas. Is salt okay to use with corys? They just looked frantic and distressed gulping surface air. Freaked me out. Thanks once again guys! Lifesavers you all are.

Cories are big on salt. I don't use salt in my tanks with cories unless there is something I am treating the whole tank for.

Back
Top Bottom