Weird film during fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnythan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm fishless cycling my 20 gallon tank right now. The cycle has stalled for some reason (I've been reading 2 ppm ammonia, 0.5 ppm NO2, and 5 ppm NO3 for five straight days now).

Anyway, I just adjusted my filter (Hydor Prime 10 can filter) to get better flow (now have one sponge, one polishing pad, about half a quart of loose Seachem Matrix, and a small amount of carbon in a nylon sack) and put the return closer to the surface to get better aeration.

When I turned the filter back on, I noticed little pieces of film in the tank, many of which came from the filter return. I think a fair number of these pieces were in the filter basket and on the Matrix. A lot of it was on the surface of the water. Now there's a bunch of it floating around in the tank.

The pieces of film look a little bit like food flakes.

Any idea what these are? Should I be worried aobut this?

is it like oil looking? if its bigger you can net it out if not try a paper towel over the top to help take it off.

I ended up siphoning out as much of it as I could during a water change. I got the rest off the surface by skimming with a plastic cup. It hasn't come back. Still not sure what it was.. definitely not oil of any sort.

Back
Top Bottom