What did I do???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sound like bacteria is slowly starting to eat up the ammo, because I was expecting a jump to .50ppm. I agree, let it simmer and keep checking levels. It'll take a bit for the no2/no3 to show up.

As for the plants. What kind, lighting info would help (don't remember what it is :p). Without no3 to feed off, ferts would help and I don't think it would affect your cycle. You could use root tabs to feed them since any liquid ferts are going to come out with every PWC.

.5ppm ammonia, 0 nitrate/ite still. Going to do a 75% pwc. Going to pickup prime and some plant tabs tomorrow and switch to the locally trusted prime.

I know it's frustrating but from the looks of things, it's going very well. The ammonia spike is what you would expect. Fish-in cycling is tough! Having to do the water changes slows things down but is the only option to keep the fish alive and healthy. Keep your head up and remember that this won't last forever. Before too long you will have a lovely (and healthy) 10 gallon tank that seems super simple to maintain, especially after all this lol. I'd like to be able to offer more than just encouragement but it seems as though you are doing everything right. Thumbs up to you!

The head of the local aquarium club recommended a different product for our water here. Much cheaper too, so I am going to switch to API Tap Water Conditioner.

After 2 successive 50% PWCs this morning (.5ppm ammonia) at 8am, the ammonia just tested .25ppm, so another 50% PWC is in order...

I've never wanted bacteria more in my life!

The head of the local aquarium club recommended a different product for our water here. Much cheaper too, so I am going to switch to API Tap Water Conditioner.

After 2 successive 50% PWCs this morning (.5ppm ammonia) at 8am, the ammonia just tested .25ppm, so another 50% PWC is in order...

I've never wanted bacteria more in my life!

Good to know, I've seen it but never tried it before I got hooked on Prime lol.

There's a good chance API TWC works like Prime and binds the ammo from the chloramine into a non-toxic form, but I didn't see a spec sheet on API's website to confirm. One thing I like about Prime is it'll neutralize/eliminate no2 if dosed properly and one reason I recommend it.

Keep us posted on how things move along :D.

Been a few days. The ammonia "growth" for lack of better terms (or knowledge of better terms) seems to be slowing. I can now get by doing 1 50%PWC daily, or even every couple of days, but still not seeing a measurable amount of Nitrites/Nitrates. Does that mean I am getting closer, or is the change in water conditioner messing things up?

Back
Top Bottom