What fish do I "NEED"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beezer11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
While I'm going thru cycling my 55G tank I thought I'd ask about fish. I have 2 small angels, 5 neons, 2 albino cory cats. I've heard the angels will grow big enough and eat the neons eventually, so I can leave them (neons) in the small tank with the corys. My better half wants a Gourami (sp). I would like another angel, other than that I want compatible colorful fish. I've been told I should have a bottom feeder and an algae eater. Whats the proper Ph for a community tank? 6.5-7.0?

I would like another angel, other than that I want compatible colorful fish.

Well, I'm a fan of Rams. So I would suggest a Bolivian Ram or German Blue Ram (they're slightly more sensitive). Rainbow fish are colorful, those would also be a nice addition.

Whats the proper Ph for a community tank? 6.5-7.0?
Your tap water is probably fine. Fish can do well in any pH, 6-8, as long as it stays stable. When you mess w/ your water parameters w/ chemicals trying to achieve that "perfect pH" is when you run into problems. Rapid pH fluctuations stress fish out. Do you know what pH your tap water is?

I've been told I should have a bottom feeder and an algae eater
You don't "need" bottom feeders. But if you want them, get them. I would add a few more cories to the 2 that you have currently to make a school. A pleco would be ok, if you're into those, although note that the common variety will get extremely big 12"+. Loaches would be ok, I think.

And as far as algae eaters go, you don't really need 'em unnless you have a planted tank w/ a lot of light over it. But otto's would be good and stay small. SAE (commonly confused w/ CAE) would also work well. Chances are the CAE might harrass the angels.

Thank you Todd. I was planning on leaving the corys in the 10 gal tank with the neons. By your reply they prefer to be in a school so I will get more of those. I've checked out pleco's and saw the size issue. I'll look into Otto's and the Rams. Thanks again

I noticed you said your cycling your tank with that fish load...

Please please please get an Aquarium Pharmicuticals master test kit (if you do not already have one) and stay on top of water changes. In an uncycled tank with that load, you will see big ammonia spikes, and if you do not do near daily 50% PWC's your likely to loose all of your fish. The ammonia burns the gills, really anything over 2.0 is toxic and can kill (if not now, in a few weeks).

There are several great articals, I would link you one but I am on vacation and on dial up. I am sure one of the mods will chime in with the link on the Nitrogen cycle and cycling with fish.

While with the load you have in your size tank is a bit more than I would recommend for cycling with fish, it is in a 55 gallon, so its not as bad as a smaller tank. I would definitely get a liquid test kit ASAP, and cut down feedings to every other day (or once a day at most). Most likely, PWC's will be needed at least once or twice a week, but hopefully it won't be quite as bad as jamesrm predicts. Again food in = waste out. Cutting down on the feedings (and amount at each feeding) will directly relate to the amount of waste (ammonia) produced. You need to keep your ammonia and nitrIte below 1.0ppm AT THE MAX!

Back
Top Bottom