What should i stock my tank with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I am pretty new to this hobby but I have done a lot of research on planted aquariums and I think I am ready to try it out! I just got a 50 gallon tank with a aqueon filter rated for up to 90g, an heater for tropical fish, and a 48" 40watt light. Now I know my lighting will be an issue. But I was looking to only do low light plants. Like java fern and Anubias. Do you guys think I will need more light? And my other question is what fish can live together well. I was thinking 2 small plecos, 4 Corys, a dozen neon tetras and a 2 gourami (they are the yellow/red with blue strips kind) will that be ok with my tank?

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to this hobby but I have done a lot of research on planted aquariums and I think I am ready to try it out! I just got a 50 gallon tank with a aqueon filter rated for up to 90g, an heater for tropical fish, and a 48" 40watt light. Now I know my lighting will be an issue. But I was looking to only do low light plants. Like java fern and Anubias. Do you guys think I will need more light? And my other question is what fish can live together well. I was thinking 2 small plecos, 4 Corys, a dozen neon tetras and a 2 gourami (they are the yellow/red with blue strips kind) will that be ok with my tank?

Well for starters there is a stabilizing liquid to condition tap water and ensure your fish won't get new tank syndrome and die.. You want to get this and have your tank running for a week adding this liquid every day... I have a java fern and its doing very well and I only have a 30 gal with less than 48 watts I think...A great starter fish are rasbora hetemorphas.... These don't sound familiar probably but they are VERY hardy and I started with these.... I have a great mix of fish that get along I added black skirts with my rasboras and they get along very well.... But a species you want to stay away from are neon tetras and cardinal tetras and guppies when you first start they aren't very hardy especially if you Are first starting the tank..... I recommend you getting some black skirts 5- 10 since they are schooling fish along with the rasboras.... Also stay away from brackish fish and aggressive fish... I added red minor tetras which was a very bad idea and they nipped my rasboras till they are nearly dead....

Well for starters there is a stabilizing liquid to condition tap water and ensure your fish won't get new tank syndrome and die.. You want to get this and have your tank running for a week adding this liquid every day... I have a java fern and its doing very well and I only have a 30 gal with less than 48 watts I think...A great starter fish are rasbora hetemorphas.... These don't sound familiar probably but they are VERY hardy and I started with these.... I have a great mix of fish that get along I added black skirts with my rasboras and they get along very well.... But a species you want to stay away from are neon tetras and cardinal tetras and guppies when you first start they aren't very hardy especially if you Are first starting the tank..... I recommend you getting some black skirts 5- 10 since they are schooling fish along with the rasboras.... Also stay away from brackish fish and aggressive fish... I added red minor tetras which was a very bad idea and they nipped my rasboras till they are nearly dead....

Yea I got all the testing and water conditioning things I need. Yea I was thinking the tetras were going to a little tricky. I have seen the rasbora so I think I might look into those. If I go with the rasboras as my schooling fish what are my options for tank mates in ur opinion?

Yea I got all the testing and water conditioning things I need. Yea I was thinking the tetras were going to a little tricky. I have seen the rasbora so I think I might look into those. If I go with the rasboras as my schooling fish what are my options for tank mates in ur opinion?

Since you say you want pleco's, be sure and get bristlenose pleco's instead of commons; Commons grow to nearly 2 feet while a bristlenose only grows to be 4 inches. If you like tetras have you checked out serpae tetras? I have a school of 6 and have no issues with them bothering anyone.

In my opinion any other rasboras can go with these such as the galaxy rasboras etc... I would definitely go with the rasboras.... The black skirt tetras are great tank mates to the rasboras too I have some in with my rasboras right now.... Lots of tetras are good too! Like the lamp eye tetra etc... And if you go with the black skirts don't get afraid if they nip at each other a lot they do that but aren't aggressively doing it so yeah..... Another thing is get some snails like mystery ones they are the most fun things to watch and keep your tank even more clean than algae eaters or plecostomos...

Since you say you want pleco's, be sure and get bristlenose pleco's instead of commons; Commons grow to nearly 2 feet while a bristlenose only grows to be 4 inches. If you like tetras have you checked out serpae tetras? I have a school of 6 and have no issues with them bothering anyone.

Thanks! Yea the bristlenose plecos are the exact ones I was looking at getting! I will check out the serpea tetras. Thanks got the advice

Thanks! Yea the bristlenose plecos are the exact ones I was looking at getting! I will check out the serpea tetras. Thanks got the advice

I have an albino pleco and I love it! Here's a picture of mine

Attachments

• image-3210194388.jpg
    image-3210194388.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 37

Keep in mind if you want those serape tetras get six or more they are schooling fish and I got three and they are very aggressive just wanted to let you know...

Keep in mind if you want those serape tetras get six or more they are schooling fish and I got three and they are very aggressive just wanted to let you know...

It's in their nature to be aggressive if they arent kept in a group of 6+ but if they are in a group of 6 or more they dont bother anyone (that's been my experience atleast), I have them in with a mix of cories, bolivian rams, platys and a balloon molly and an albino pleco and they never bother anyone but themselves. Just remember if you see the word schooling fish, you WILL need atleast 5, preferably 6 of the species.

It's in their nature to be aggressive if they arent kept in a group of 6+ but if they are in a group of 6 or more they dont bother anyone (that's been my experience atleast), I have them in with a mix of cories, bolivian rams, platys and a balloon molly and an albino pleco and they never bother anyone but themselves. Just remember if you see the word schooling fish, you WILL need atleast 5, preferably 6 of the species.

I want my schooling fish to be about 12-20 strong... I am having second thoughts about doing a planted tank. =^\ I don't think I am as ready as I thought. I have been looking into silk plants.

I want my schooling fish to be about 12-20 strong... I am having second thoughts about doing a planted tank. =^\ I don't think I am as ready as I thought. I have been looking into silk plants.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to do planted right off the bat, I didn't either, all plants in my tank are all plastic. I'm just now beginning to try and plan for a planted tank, I got back into the hobby around the end of July/beginning of August 2012. I think any schooling fish in a group that size would look awesome!

Honestly I'd say if you're even considering it now just go with live plants. Java fern, java moss, and anubias are all very easy plants that'd be fine with your light (just don't expect quick growth). You don't even have to worry about substrate -- just tie them to some driftwood or any decoration and their roots will take hold.

Fish-wise, for the time being I'd actually advise skipping serpae tetras. IME they are definitely one of the more nippy tetras, especially with fish with longer fins. Personally I'd recommend rummynose, cardinal, lemon, or diamond tetras, and also harlequin rasboras. Checker, cherry, and 5-banded barbs are all pretty peaceful too. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom