What to do, what to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sublimer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I'm new to this aquarium community. I'm somewhat of a novice in the hobby. Since I've had a little more time and money on my hands lately, my roommate and I have decided to take on the task of raising crabs. I purchased a 20 gallon tank and did a ton of research to be prepared and found that crabs are better off with a sand substrate. I've only worked with gravel when raising turtles and hermit crabs in the past but never sand. I saw great reviews online about PFS and went ahead and bought some today.
Upon setup, I rinsed and swashed a good amount in a bucket until the water was clear and put it in the tank along with some white gravel. My roommate and I then added water to the tank from the hose to about halfway and noticed that it was somewhat cloudy. We chucked it out, replaced it and the result was the same. We felt it wasn't so bad so we decided to let the 2 power filters run and finish the job. After 2 hours there was little difference so I tried a water bottle trick I saw in a YouTube video and made the water even cloudier.

ForumRunner_20130307_012314.jpg

Do I start all over? Do I flip the process and add the water first and then the rerinsed sand? I'm hoping those of you who have worked with PFS will provide some insight on how to better clean this tank. And if this is normal, how long will it take for the water to clear up?

*I should make a note that we forgot to wash the gravel*

im no expert and i def never worked with sand. but i believe it all just needs to settle at the bottom and that takes time.

Is it all new gravel and you just forgot to wash it? If so it will settle with time. Just let it do its thing.

Well I gave the filters a break last night and stopped the cycling. I'm going restart the process when I get home and completely reclean and rerinse everything. Here's to a better turnout lol

So I went ahead and filled and overflowed the entire tank, sand and all, until clean. Took out almost all that water. Ran my hand through the sand several times just to make sure and it seemed to settle down perfectly. Brought the tank back in, filled it to about halfway again, but the pressure cloudied up the water. I ignored it and changed the cartridges on my recleaned filters and let em run.

ForumRunner_20130308_030253.jpg

ForumRunner_20130308_030311.jpg

This time I'm actually noticing the water get clearer unlike last night. Still a long way to go but I trust by morning I'll see some progress

So I went ahead and filled and overflowed the entire tank, sand and all, until clean. Took out almost all that water. Ran my hand through the sand several times just to make sure and it seemed to settle down perfectly. Brought the tank back in, filled it to about halfway again, but the pressure cloudied up the water. I ignored it and changed the cartridges on my recleaned filters and let em run.

View attachment 157844

View attachment 157845

This time I'm actually noticing the water get clearer unlike last night. Still a long way to go but I trust by morning I'll see some progress
It's clearer because it's cleaner. I don't recommend cleaning sand this way as it will get inside your filter motors and could cause damage. The best way to solve/prevent clouding with sand, is to get a bucket, fill some sand. Garden hose it and keep stirring it until clear. When it looks clear, do it again and again. It's a tedious process but it has to be done to prevent what you are experiencing. Place the clean sand in the tank and repeat with more sand. Also when your filling your tank, get a dinner plate or bowl and place this in the tank. Pour your new de-chlorinated water onto this. This prevents water turbulence and clouding...
The reason you need to really clean the sand, is to get rid of dirt and light floaty sand that will forever float in the tank when you or your fish move anything, especially decor. I know this seems like a pain but trust me, best to do it now or you'll be starting a thread 'How do i get crystal clear water' very soon. Much easier now than when you have fish/decor in it....
PS... Sorry for the lecture, but i'm speaking from a bad past experience!!!!

Very true. Although the filters have been doing bangin job.

ForumRunner_20130308_130841.jpg

I'm still going to take out the sand to rerinse so that I can add even more in preparation for the rock I just bought :)

So I restarted from scratch. Started with clear freshwater and Seachem prime. Left it cycling for hours before resuming sand rinsing. When it came down to it, I decided I'd slowly add a bit of sand to one side each day along with a dose of Aqueon water clarifier.

ForumRunner_20130310_011226.jpg

I have play sand in my 90 gallon i had to wash it over n over again. I love the sand look or dirt but you need to rinse the crap out of it. It seems like that sand was very dusty or you needed to rinse it for alot longer.The sand in my 90 came from a 30 that was up and running cycled wish fish without a substrate ,when i added sand to it. it didnt get no where that cloudy. The way i added it was in a bowl that i brought to the bottom of the tank and slowly poured the sand out and fixed it with my hand. Even though the water didnt get to bad after taking the sand and adding it to the 90 again with more fresh rinsed sand there is some sand in my filters i brought over from the 30.

I have play sand in my 90 gallon i had to wash it over n over again. I love the sand look or dirt but you need to rinse the crap out of it. It seems like that sand was very dusty or you needed to rinse it for alot longer.The sand in my 90 came from a 30 that was up and running cycled wish fish without a substrate ,when i added sand to it. it didnt get no where that cloudy. The way i added it was in a bowl that i brought to the bottom of the tank and slowly poured the sand out and fixed it with my hand. Even though the water didnt get to bad after taking the sand and adding it to the 90 again with more fresh rinsed sand there is some sand in my filters i brought over from the 30.
Perfect example of how to do it. I also get sand in my filters. Nothing major, i guess most people with play sand do. It's just best to keep it to a minimum, where possible.....

Back
Top Bottom