What's going on?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grape

Aquarium Advice Regular
Fishless-Fish-in. I need help.

I was fish-less cycling my tank for almost 2 months. I was not getting any results. I was in the nitrite to nitrate phase, and it seemed to stall there. I decided to just finish with a fish-in cycle. I didn't want to add the fish in with all those nitrites of course. So I did a 100% water change the day I went to the pet store. I checked my water, and I had 0 nitrites and 0 ammo. I was worrying I had killed me bacteria. I added 3 zebra danios 5 days ago. Here are my readings today.

pH: 7.6
Ammo: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 10

It doesn't look like I've killed the bacteria, but I'm really confused by my readings. I've done 2 water changes since adding the fish. Also a couple of days before I added the fish, I poured in a bottle of Start Smart(TLC®TenderLivingCare). I really don't think it helped, but maybe it did.

What do you think is going on with my tank? What do I do now?

It's a 20 gallon high with
Top Fin Power filter 20
100 watt heater
Regular Top Fin gravel.

You just added fish too soon, that's all. I'm a little surprised at the ammo reading; I would have expected nitrite if anything, but in your last thread the ammonia hadn't dropped for some reason so something may have set the cycle back a bit and then you added fish before things could catch up again.

Just keep testing and do water changes any time ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25. Don't add any more fish until ammonia and nitrite can stay at 0 on their own for at least 1-2 weeks. I wouldn't bother with the smart start. What dechlorinator are you using? Prime is best if you can get it, it'll help detoxify the ammonia and nitrite in between water changes.

Also you're not replacing filter media or anything, right? That would keep the cycle from taking hold as well.

Back
Top Bottom