Where does bacteria in a "fishless cycle" come fro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razmataz1971

Aquarium Advice Regular
:? Is it something that is automatic when you place water in the tank with Water Conditioners, these non-working bacteria starters like Proquatics Bacteria Starter, and ammonia? :?

How can you feed (Ammonia) something that doesn't exist (bacteria) in a new tank when you don't have an established tank to take a filter out of?

Just wanted to know for curiousity reasons. :) :)

Bacteria is everywhere, even in the air floating around looking for a good place to settle a flourish. The bacteria that you get in a fishless cycle most likely comes from the air.

Even your tap water will have limited supply of free floating bacteria. All it needs is a food source (i.e. Ammonia) to flourish.

Menagerie said:
Doesn't that make you want a big glass of tap water right now? :biglol:

Mmmmm...the E. coli, cryptosporidia, and giardia just make the water all that more tasty... :wink:

BIG trout in the Bearspaw (where you and I get our water from)....makes you wonder what the allowable ppm of fish poop is in drinking water... :p

BIG trout in the Bearspaw (where you and I get our water from)....makes you wonder what the allowable ppm of fish poop is in drinking water...
As a biologist, all I have to say is, "Drink up!!" :pepsi:

Back
Top Bottom