White slime growing on heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caroline79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi does any one know what is growing on my heater in new 64 ltr fish pod. It looks like White soft Fury slime?

Having some problem adding photo it's saying can't find runner plug in ?

It sounds like some kind of mold, but I couldn't know for sure without a picture or more information. You said it was new, so is the tank in the middle of cycling? How long have you had it? Is there anything in it yet?

miles said:
It sounds like some kind of mold, but I couldn't know for sure without a picture or more information. You said it was new, so is the tank in the middle of cycling? How long have you had it? Is there anything in it yet?

Hi yeah its been cycling for over a month just put in 3 ottos last week it will become a brackish f8 puffer tank when done cycling. I have not got a master test kit yet will get this week I have just finished cleaning all that slime away for now.

Sounds like you're on the right track. If you think it's still cycling, unstable water parameters could be the explanation for the mold (if that's what it is). Your tank might very well have enough of a bio-filter to handle the fish you have (remember, during fishless cycling an enormous amount of ammonia is dumped into the tank at one time - way more than a couple fish could produce at once), but just to be sure I would suggest some extra water changes, at least until you get your test kit and can know for sure. Water changes will protect the fish from any potential ammonia/nitrite poisoning, and might diminish the mold as well.

Water molds don't handle salt very well, so if the mold persists after you know the tank is cycled, it will almost definitely go away once you add marine salt. Just remember to add salt very slowly if the figure-8 puffer is being kept in fresh water so they can adjust.

Ok thanks i do more water changes . I did a google search too it looks like these fish pods seem to get this ! could it be aloe Vera? which is in the water conditioner it says it replaces slime coat too .

Can't wait to get puffer

Caroline79 said:
Hi does any one know what is growing on my heater in new 64 ltr fish pod. It looks like White soft Fury slime?

Having some problem adding photo it's saying can't find runner plug in ?

image-2127453948.jpg

Photo of White stuff

Sure looks like water mold to me. All you can do is wipe it off every once in a while so it doesn't take over your tank while you wait for your water parameters to stabilize. Another thing to consider if water flow. Mold has a hard time growing in clean, well-circulating water. Like I said, the marine salt you're going to add will likely kill the stuff if it's still coming back by that time.

miles said:
Sure looks like water mold to me. All you can do is wipe it off every once in a while so it doesn't take over your tank while you wait for your water parameters to stabilize. Another thing to consider if water flow. Mold has a hard time growing in clean, well-circulating water. Like I said, the marine salt you're going to add will likely kill the stuff if it's still coming back by that time.

Thanks hope the salt will work I will have to wait for the puffer first before I add salt do u think I could get away with two f8 in 64 ltr or just one?

Better to just keep one in 64 liters. Replace the ottos with 1 or 2 bumblebee goby.

Back
Top Bottom