Wrong ammonia during fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl414

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just been reading some posts around about the wrong kind of ammonia to use and I think I mightve gotten the wrong kind. I've been doing my fishless cycle for a week now and I'm waiting for it to drop to 0.

It doesn't have any ingredients on the bottle just says regular scent and contains no phosphorus biodegradable. When I shake the bottle air bubbles come up from it but instantly disappear as they reach the surface

1 week is to early to expect a drop, the bubbles disappearing instantly sounds the good ammonia.
Can you post a picture of your bottle?

I know I was just saying that I was like a week in. I'm just worried it's the wrong stuff, especially since there's a decent amount of bubbles on the surface of the wAter, but I thought it might be the air stone and the filter

Attachments

• image-2213635240.jpg
    image-2213635240.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 69
I don't like that legend of regular scent, neither the bubbles in the top of the tank that you mentioned.....

Maybe the wrong stuff, let's see if others have a different opinion.
:band:

To me, "Regular Scent" does NOT mean "Unscented", so I suspect it has some kind of fragrance in it. What does it smell like? If you can detect any fragrance, then it's definitely the wrong ammonia and you will have to drain the tank, throughly rinse everything, and start over.

Even if you can't detect a fragrance (pure ammonia has a powerful odor so your nose may not be an effective judge) you might try calling the manufacturer and asking to be sure; you should be able to find a customer service phone number somewhere on the label.

It smells like strong ammonia, no fragrance all chemical. I guess I'll call them up tomorrow

I think you're ok. If it doesn't foam when shaken, it's ok as far as surfactants, and I would think that "Regular Scent" is the same as unscented. If the manufacturer was going to bother adding a scent of any kind, it wouldn't be ammonia scented.

When I did my first fishless cycle, I didn't realize until after dosing that it had surfactants in it. I'm unsure if the bottle foamed, but I do recall soapy bubbles in the water. If there are no ingredients, I'm sure you're okay.

LOL BigJim, "Ammonia Scented"

Back
Top Bottom