2 clowns with ich & tons of frags .. treatment options??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey all,

my 2 clowns in my 20gal hex both have ich .. i'm assuming my levels are out of whack .. i have to check them when i get home today, but does anyone know of any remedies that are reef safe??

i did a 5-6 gal water change yesterday, only for them to look worse this morning. i have about 20 frags (all who are doing well so far) so i'm pretty sure meds are out.

i'll post my levels after work, but if anyone has any advice for a new reefer i would GREATLY appreciate it!

thanks!
ronnie

did some extended research & the general consensus, no matter where i look, seems to be a QT tank with copper (or some hy-something salinity treatment).

i dont really have the time / energy for a QT, but if my levels are nuts, & my cleaners arent helping i guess i'll have to do one.

ANY ADVICE IS STILL WELCOMED

My tank had ich after I introduced a tang about a month ago. The tang died but all my other fish (including two clowns) got the ich but it went away. I know it's still there so I'm not introducing any more fish. But all my fish are fine and no signs of ich on any and my clowns had it bad. I tried to catch them all to quarantine but couldn't. You can try supplementing food with a garlic treatment. It's usually around $20 at the fish store. Soak their food in it. It boosts their immune system. I didn't do that because I always soak their food in expensive fish vitamins. Lol. Def don't use copper in your display tank or you'll kill any inverts and it stays in the tank so you can't get any later either. Good luck! Hope they pull through.

My tank had ich after I introduced a tang about a month ago. The tang died but all my other fish (including two clowns) got the ich but it went away. I know it's still there so I'm not introducing any more fish. But all my fish are fine and no signs of ich on any and my clowns had it bad. I tried to catch them all to quarantine but couldn't. You can try supplementing food with a garlic treatment. It's usually around $20 at the fish store. Soak their food in it. It boosts their immune system. I didn't do that because I always soak their food in expensive fish vitamins. Lol. Def don't use copper in your display tank or you'll kill any inverts and it stays in the tank so you can't get any later either. Good luck! Hope they pull through.

thanks so much for the advice .. i did read similar stories about clowns & other fish pulling through eventually .. i'm just worried because it started as almost impossible to see 2 days ago (only on the smaller clown) & now both have it & its very VERY noticeable ..

going to clean my tubes and test my levels now .. wish me luck

i'm hoping its from me messing up & not from one of my new corals ......

thanks again friend!!

tested my levels

ph 8.1
ammo .25-.50
nitrate 5-10
nitrite 0
phosphate 0

temps at 81-82 & i was told to lower it to 76-78 so i was gonna drop it to 79

obviously i have some water changing to do, but i gotta find out whats causing it.

fish look better, but still have ich. hopefully it clears up, or my cleaners start workin overtime.

Def do a water change weekly with reverse osmosis water. Also get that ammonia down! It'll make your fish worse. The temp is ok. I keep mine at 79. Good luck!

i usually do 2 weekly changes, but i think i found the real culprit .. my salinity wa through the roof!! i'm back down to where i should be, but jeeeez!! i dont know how it could have happened!!

anyway, thanks for the help!! i'll def be working on the ammo & trates

Back
Top Bottom