Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

2-week Ich Treatment Question

Are there any 2-week or less ich treatments? Maybe some type of copper or formalin or both? I bought a new fish a little over a week ago, put him in QT and this morning he looks like light sugar was sprinkled on him. The reason I ask for 2-week or less is because I am going on vacation in 3-weeks, so hyposalinity is out of the question this time. I know my options (ie copper) may be more aggressive, but I dont think I have a choice. Thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
I think you would be allright if you went with the heat treatment. Try to get it up to 88 and increase aeration. This way you could even let it remain at that temp while you're gone for good measure.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

Agreed, especially if this guy is in QT, there'd be no problems mantiaining him at 85+ while you're away.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I wasn't aware that would work in a SW tank.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I should have mentioned, I can't keep it in the qt while I am gone. I need to get it in the main within 3-weeks. My qt is not stable enough. So I'm thinling strong copper or formalin, but I don't know. I don't think the heat alone will do it.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do I think we've been down this road already?

You just got done letting your tank go fallow and treating all your fish with hypo for ich, and you're thinking about rushing a fish through QT and probably introducing ich back into your main tank?

I've never done copper, but I think that's the only thing that can work within your self-imposed time frame.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

What type fish is this? Tangs are quite sensitive to copper if that`s what it is.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

How about returning it to the lfs for credit when you get back?

You might try formalin in the QT for 2 weeks. Read Steven Pro's article, especailly his caveats about the treatment. This is a highly toxic substance and must be used with great care.

Raising the temperature is not a cure. It speeds the life cycle slightly, so raising the temperture in the absence of a treatment protocol means the fish die sooner.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Unless you can get your hands on Chloroquine, safest route, and hypo I would wait on treatment or return the animal. Formalin never seems to have much affect on Crypt and I am against the use of copper. During and after treatment you will still have to watch the animal, which will be impossible if you are not there. All in all, cutting corners by rushing qt never works out in the end.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Kurt- your right I just finished a hyposalinity treatment a couple weeks ago which so far has worked great. Since my QT is so small I had to return a lot of my fish during the hyposalinity. So I was anxious to get my 4th and final fish, which I purchased a little over a week ago. I know I should have waited, patience is HUGE in this hobby. But I don't see powder brown tangs around here very often and I had wanted one for a long time. I was hoping to put him in the QT for a few weeks and then everything would be fine and then put him in the main. Of course nothing works out that easy. At least I didnt put him right into the main tank. This is my first time doing a QT first, after my last experience.
Has anybody ever tried Cupramine? I guess it is suposedly safer and easier on fish than normal copper??

Tags
eat, ich, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com