A good reason to Quarantine your new arrivals.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
steve-s said:
AndySmithers said:
I'll admit that my statement is based on very little science, how about yours?
Do you have proof of this statement?
I hope you enjoy reading

OK, point well made - about parasitic organisms at any rate.
Interesting that the life cycle of the ich organism would necessitate only a 3 day quarantine at normal reef tank temperatures. I guess that means thet if you do "roll the dice" so to speak, you will know the result in just a few days.
I suppose it must be just a combination of luck and selecting healthy specemins to start with then.

Can't help but have this nagging voice that says "theres no QT in the ocean, though"....
Andy.

AndySmithers said:
Can't help but have this nagging voice that says "theres no QT in the ocean, though"....
Andy.

Ugh. Did you really just say that?! There might not be a QT in the ocean but it isn't the closed environment of our home aquariums either. The differences between that cube of water in your home and the OCEAN are vast to say the least!

AndySmithers said:
steve-s said:
AndySmithers said:
Andy.

hahhahahaha.

fish in the ocean are swimming in hundreds of trillons of gallons of water. that water is quickly swept around and away from the reefs by strong ocean currents.

fish in our tanks swim in the same few gallons for weeks or months on end.

there are no toilets in the african savannah, but does that mean that we can just poo on our car seats?

that...analogy may not have made any sense at all...

AndySmithers said:
OK, point well made - about parasitic organisms at any rate.
Which was for the most part the only point I was trying to make :wink:

Interesting that the life cycle of the ich organism would necessitate only a 3 day quarantine at normal reef tank temperatures. I guess that means thet if you do "roll the dice" so to speak, you will know the result in just a few days.
That particular article deals with Ichthyophthirius Multifiliis which is a FW variant. QT'ing for only a 3 day period in regards to SW parasites would be pointless. 3 weeks is the absolute minimum with 4 being the recommended time frame.

Cheers
Steve

In addition the active/visual cycle of ich where its attached to the fish is much shorter than the invisable cycles where its not attached to the fish.

The no QT in the ocean is a very odd argument IMO. Fish are born there and die there. There is no need to QT since thats their natural habitat.

Wow, very enjoyable thread!! Thumbs up on a very informayive thread! (y)

I can add nothing except I believe in a qt fully. I know from experience the pain of ich. I believe that some hobbiest actually have ich in their tank, they just dont know it, or dont believe it. I have heard that a fish can be effected by ich and can build up some sort of immunity where neither the ich or fish prevail. That does not mean that you do not have ich. :wink:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that I have ich in my main. I'm battling it now in my QT (with a fish that's never been near my main :) ) but I saw a spot or two ages ago on my YT that I would now swear was ich. They've never had an outbreak so I always just said must have been sand :roll: . I'm fully expecting an all out break out when my new PT hits the water. You just know... UGH!

just keep that fish in QT for a full weeks and you might be ok. IF you move your Yellow tang over to the QT tank, you will need to start your Purple tang over at day 0 and keep it in for another 6 weeks. so keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom