anemone mouth open??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
img_1844072_0_975753a279c9ff2d626464d41c1815ef.jpg
img_1844072_1_f65d113e7c87faa61bb7d128cbf695fb.jpg

this is what it lloked like when i first bought it the first is what it looks like now
img_1844072_2_99d5df0c1c87dc149b2337ba13c804da.jpg
wwhhat it looked like this morning
img_1844072_3_924d1e370a3c588079b4b54c493d785f.jpg
the best picture i could get (doesnt sit still)

Hi everybody ive had a anemone for just over a month now (i think its a bta) and its been doing great until about two three days ago when it just opend its mouth wide open and kinda showed off its insides and it hasent closed once yet:(, i feed it once a week and the clownfish likes to eat some off the food from its tentecles
ive noticed that my salt level has been down a bit soo i fixed it and i added a fan too keep help out the anemone does that have to do anything with it
i have two clowns, one powder blue tang, and a cleaning fish that i will post a pic of it looks like a small eel its electric blue from the top and black from the bottom it eats like dirt and what not off of the tang
3 turbo snails and 3 elictric blue hermit crabs
its a 30g tank and up thats pretty much all there is in there
i will post a few pics of the anemone and that tank in a day or two
:thanks:

Last edited:
It looks very white which is not good whatkind of lighting do u have and how olds tank

That anemone looks like it is dying, IMO. I've had one die on me in the past and before it did it lost volume and it's mouth was agape. On the same note, powder tangs(blue and brown) don't have a great track record as far as survivability. Some do ok, most don't. To have one in a 30, IMO it won't last long.

so should i take it back??? can i save it??
And the tang has some little white dots on its head fin and one on its eye ive been treating it for ich soo i dont know
and its 30 us gallons if that makes a diffrence plus the tang is just a cm or two bigger than the clowns
what should i do with it ive had it for 2 weeks and the anemone for about 3-4
can i just get another anemone or will that die too

That tang is going to end up dying in that little tank. What are you treating the tang with?
The anemone is also failing. It was bleached and in poor shape when you bought it, but it's definitely getting worse. Anemones require strong lighting to survive. they are photosynthetic, like plants.
If you decide to return the anemone, you can't peel it off of that rock. If you rip the foot you may kill it.

Anemone

As far as the anemone, IMO it looks pretty much dead, in one of the pics.
As far as the tang, it shouldn't be in a tank that small. I don't know how big it is, but unless its under 2", the tanks already too small.
How are you treating the ick? Are you treating in the tank with the anemone? Any copper based treatments will kill any inverts and corals.
I would keep a real close eye on the anemone, return the tang to your LFS(sick or not) for maybe a reduced trade.

Anemone

Then I would check all my parameters, before any new additions. Good luck!

well i called the fish store and they told me that i cant bring the anemone back because they move from my tank to theres would stress it and kill it and ive been giving the tang kordon rid ich plus and am slowly raiseing the tempreture to 82 its at 80 right now

the anemone is looking like the second picture today it seems fine but it deflates all of its tentecles and shrivers up at night is that normal

and can anyone tell me what that blue fish is called in front of the clowns its not a gobie for sure it just swims around and at the store it was kinda cleaning the big powder blue tang they had (about 10cm)

Yeah cleaner wrasse which shouldn't be in the tank along with the tang the clownfish are the of ones that belong in there.

I gotta say you may wanna go back to the drawing board and do some research your tank is stocked to fail meaning what u have going on imo is notgoing to work and your gunna cost yur self money

well just little updated
the anemone seems too be getting better but its mouth is still open and
yesterday the tang got better all of its ich went away and it was fine and for the last week it started to come to the top of the tank to eat rather then just stay in the middle soo i left everything as it was and left the temperature at 82 (i brought it up to cure the ich while giving it medicine)
but today when i woke up the fish was dead in the corner off the tank
i measured the tang it was just under 4 cm
will the death of the fish do anything to my water levels, other fish, etc. and how can i fix it to make it normal

Lower the temperature to about 78. 82 degrees does nothing to ich.
I would be doing water changes to correct any parameter issues and not add any fish for a while.

ok guys another update umm well all of my fishes got ich and the fish store took them back but are refuseing to take the anemone because its been 3weeks sooo now my tank is preety much empty all i have is 3 turbo snails and 3 crabs and that one anemone
ive been doing 20ish% water changes
soo what do i do now?
when can i get more fishes?
how do i check my PH levels?
and what fishes do i get now/ can i start with percula clownfish agian?

Let your tank sit without any fish for six weeks. Any ich parasites will die in that time without a host.

Make the investment in an API Saltwater Master Test Kit. You can mail ordser one for around $20 or pick it up ina store for around $32. That will get you pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits which you should have anyway. I'd also buy a refractometer to check your specific gravity (salinity) if you don't have one.

Once you have your parameters under control, an occellaris (sometime called a false percula) clown would be a good fisrt fish. True perculas IME are a little more delicate.

Please don't get any more tangs in a tank that small. They are very active fish that need a lot of room to swim and stress easily, making disease more likely. You have now experienced this first hand. Also, I would advise against any cleaner wrasses (the black and blue fish you had). They generally don't do well long term in captivity.

What kind of lighting do you have for your anemone? Please specify bulb type and wattage.

Back
Top Bottom