anemones and corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really want a hot anemone in my tank, but I was told by several people that they will move in between LR and expand, knocking the rocks over. I really dont want any of my corals smashed! Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Yours Truly,
Fishtixs05 :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------
How old is your tank?
my tank is about 5 months old, it already has some corals in it: Pulsing Xenia, Colt Coral, and Leather Coral

Well, the clown you have, hosts in only one anemone in the wild. The good thing is, it is the only anemone I recommend for anyone that has never kept them before. Entacmea quadricolor (bubble tip anemone, bta, bulb tip anemone) is often found as a tank raised clone. These anemones have a much better chance of survival in a captive environment, you are also not removing another anemone (most likely doomed to die) from the reef. Anemones are, for all intents and purposes, immortal. They have no defined life span, yet we pull them out of the sea, and the mortality rate of wild caught anemones is probably between 85-90%. There are several reasons for this, most common is collection and transport, next is inexperience of the hobbyest, not being able to provide the proper environment for the anemone.

I would second the suggestion to wait a little while. When your ready, maroon clowns will normally host in bubble tip anenomes and they can be very attractive and pricey. The rose to pink colored specimans range anywhere from $150 to $250. You can get the green variety for about $30 - $50.

but wut about anemones moving between LR and knocking it over?

I suppose it might be a possibility with a large carpet...but I've never seen or even heard of it happening. Anemones that cause landslides on themselves...are short lived anemones.

I've never heard of an anenome knocking over rock work. They will travel around the tank until they find a spot to their liking. The only issue here is that they can sting and kill corals during their travels.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom