Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

angel vs angel

our Coral Beauty has been terrorizing our Flame angel. Its been over a year now that the tank is running and we have never encountered anything like this. All fish were getting along just fine.. and still do.. just the coral beauty is now always after the flame.

Flame angel is now in a little cave inside a rock. we can see it inside just looking around. its afraid to come out. Coral beauty is always around the cave to make sure the flame doesnt come out.

I sometimes have to over feed a little to make sure some food reaches the cave. Flame will come out to eat but quickly gets chased away. whats happening?

EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure if you're saying that the 2 angels have been together for over a year, but dwarf angels don't really get along. I've heard horror stories about your very situation, a flame and a coral beauty. In a larger tank it might work, but In a 65gallon, it's probably just not enough territory to go around. You may want to bring one of them back to your lfs.

It also seems a little crowded in your tank by looking at your fish list - that may not be helping either. Just my opinion. 2 tangs, 5 angels may be pushing it, but someone with more experience may be able to chime in on that.

- Skins

Old 07-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

thing is I have 100 lbs of rock.. plenty of caves and places to hide. this is all new activity. for over a year they got along.
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to PBirdsong
I've noticed the same behavior with our angels. We've had one (Blackie) since we started our tank and added two more (Pearly and White Fins) about a month and a half later. were being bullied by Blackie for a while, then they got a lot bigger and the situation has turned a complete 180. We had the same problem with Blackie hiding inside a cave but seems like it is dealing with the dominance and is better. I know we have different types of tanks (yours being salt water and mine's fresh) but it just might be a small case of domination. If the problem doesn't stop soon, you may need to separate the two.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

i cant think of parting with either fish. I love all my fish. Having this tank for over a year and not having any saltwater experience, they have all gone through this experience with me and have all survived. If i remember correctly the flame angel was the second or third fish we bought. Coral beauty is my girlfriends favorite. both fish look healthy and look beautiful. what can I do?
Am I Overstocked Yet?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Angels will be angels". You can try re-arranging the LR to see if that helps. Otherwise, one may need to go.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had 3 tangs for 1 yr. and now my purple tang is getting nasty. this happens
Old 07-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
as fish get older, they tend to get more territorial. My prediction is that this will only get worse. As was mentioned before, your tank is just not large enough for the hostility to not happen. With luck, the rock re arranging will help for a time.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
as fish get older, they tend to get more territorial. My prediction is that this will only get worse. As was mentioned before, your tank is just not large enough for the hostility to not happen. With luck, the rock re arranging will help for a time.
things have gotten worst now. I came home today from work only to see her near the top of the tank in a beaten state. Looks like every fish in the tank took their turn.

I separated her by placing a small overflow like box. for now she is just in there somewhat resting. Looks like she doesnt even have the energy to swim. all her fins are gone and she looks really beat up. I feel so bad.
Am I Overstocked Yet?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

these were taken with my camera phone.
i feel so bad.

I dont know what to do at this point. Im going to try my best to save her.

HELP !

Am I Overstocked Yet?

Tags
angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com