Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2005, 11:10 AM   #31
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
I guess my objective is to try and stress them then??
I know you where most likely venting but be sure you don't do this. Overtly bringing about stress is not healthy for the fish at any time. If there, it will show itself soon enough. QS has given you sound advice.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-25-2005, 11:52 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
No I was only kidding. However for the past few days I have not gone up to the tank as much as I normally do, I leave the den light on to make sure its not totally dark (as night is the most stressful part of the day for fish)...little things like this. I left the normal moonlight on last night and no other lights on. Woke up this morning and no spots on anyone. Its a week today. Lets say it wasnt ick...what else could little pin head dots under the skin be? Im open to anything,
Thanks

Old 01-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #33
steve-s

Quote:
Lets say it wasnt ick...what else could little pin head dots under the skin be?
A small infection, bacterial, fungal, scales on end, sediment, an abrassion or simpley a trick of the eye. To hard to say really and those are just guesses. I understand this is hard enough and not to make matters worse but "eyeballing" illnesses can quite often lead to misdiagnosis. Believe it or not, the only sure way is examination under a microscope 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I do know for sure it was not a trick of th eye. It was a very pronounced raised bump and was white in nature. As the lights stayed on, the bumps went away in about 20-30 minutes. One was very large (little larger than pinhead). Guess time will only tell. I HOPE its not ick for sure. would be a nice break for me for sure! I hope i will know within 30-45 days for sure.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:07 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quarry and Steve - is it possible that since he is describing only one raised bump that was white or off white in color - could it be a different pest? I'm fighting with black spots on my yellow tang - when I placed in qt with my other fish, I soaked all my lr ( only way to catch the damsel was to remove the lr). I found a cirolanid isopod in the bucket I put the rock in. Any chance it is something like this - and just going through the life cycle?
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:19 AM   #36
steve-s

Could be anything at this point. Given the description so far, it's not sounding like C. irritans. 6 days and still no re-occurance.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing I cna think of at this point is...I noticed a 4-6 inch bristleworm in my tank for the first time the other night. Now, the regal has a rock that he sleeps inside of each night when the lights go out...since the bumps, he has not slept in that rock...I wonder if it could have been the bristle was in the hole and maybe stung him??
We are on day 7 and no other bumps....Plus yesterday I had a swing of 3-4 degrees in the tank due to weather issues here. And there was a few people at the house last night and was around the tank a lot and the regal was going nuts so I was expecting he was stressed so if it were ick it should have showed itself...again Im waiting 6-8 weeks to make sure this doesnt occur again. Wouldnt you think this would be plenty of time?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #38
steve-s

Quote:
again Im waiting 6-8 weeks to make sure this doesnt occur again. Wouldnt you think this would be plenty of time?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for all the help steve and quarry...Aprreciate it! Will keep you posted.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

UPDATE...Well all have successfully been moved into the QT and are alive this morning. I think my regal is the one that hates it the most....BUT she doesnt have spots on her this morning so at least she is showing no signs of stress...I have the temp at 78-81 and am brining the salinity down from 1.026 last night to 1.022 when I went to bed...Im going to go slow. Which is fine as it will force me to leave the main fallow longer. Im going to bring the salinity down to 1.009 and leave it there for 3-4 weeks...I want to be SURE this devil of a parasite is dead...I assume its ok to leave it there that long? Also isnt this 14-16 PPT on the refracto??

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com