Astria stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EricL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a mutant type of asteria stars that are munching on my acros, star polyps and zoos. I cant find a Harlequin shrimp at all. Out side of picking them off the rocks ( Too many ) what else can I do? I am loosing too may corals because of these things.

Corals are overrated so just house a massive collection of asterina stars :) If you don't want to *sad* then try placing some shrimp or marine fish flesh on the substrate and hopefully they will migrate towards the new *yum* food. This will make it easier for you to siphon or scoop them out. I'm sure bristleworms will join the feast as well.

What size of tank is it? How did they get so out of control before you realized them munching on the soft corals?

Any kind of natural preditor will take some time to reduce the population. Picking them out is better than letting them graze on the corals.

What kind of asternia`s do you have. Are they white or brown. I have a whole tank of them and nothing but soft and LPS corals and they dont bother them. They are the white ones but I`ve heard the brown ones can bother corals.

Back
Top Bottom