Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2004, 06:32 PM   #11

Why would you say that ,I've been doing tangs forever, in fact the first tank I had was a 30 ,then a 40 then a 55 then a 250 then back to a 55 now a 125
I statrted out with a small tank and a nasa tang ,never had a problem and Ive kept fish for years and watched them grow five times there size ,they can go with a small tang ,no reason not to
Old 08-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you're suggesting that someone with a 30 gal tank should get a tang just because they have an algae problem?

That's wrong on so many accounts.

Since when is a tang considered part of the cleanup crew? What if this person doesn't want to upgrade to a larger tank within a year? Do you realise lack of swimming space causes deformities of the internal organs due to stunted development?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #13

Well heres a thought for you, most people that have a tank with fish hope there fish will not dye as they want to keep them a while ,do you know of any fish that don't grow over time?
if you do I would like the name of this fish because im sure its worth millions
Old 08-26-2004, 07:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's an example..

A typical clownfish will reach 3-4 inches when fully grown.

A typical naso tang will reach 12-18 inches when fully grown.

Would you consider both equally suitable for a 30 gal tank?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

medication

Do you not have to be careful when adding ich medicine to the tank if you have shrimp? Could it not kill the shrimp?

Cindy
Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Astrea snails are the best hair algae eaters for a small tank. If you add 6 or so your algae will be gone in a week. They cleaned my rock as well as the walls. Make sure you acclimate them well and flip them over if they fall on their backs.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Cindy...Yes, you do need to becareful of your inverts when treating for ich. The best thing you can do is let your tank go "fallow" for about six weeks to rid it of ich. This means keep it running without fish for that time. Your shrimp will be fine in there during the fallow period. I would avoid meds in the main display tank and let the ich die off naturally. Good luck...Lando
Old 08-27-2004, 10:26 AM   #18

that my be true but it will take a long long time for them to reach that size
Old 08-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Atari. A tang is not your answer. I have a yellow tang and he ignored my hair algae. I've also tried blue legged hermits, emerald crabs, lawnmower blenny, lettuce nudibraches and several types of snails. All of which are supposed to eat hair algae and nothing worked. I made a few changes with my tank and got rid of mine. Started using RO/DI water, reduced feeding and replaced light bulbs. Within two weeks the hair was gone. Lando is right that the tank needs to be fallow for a period for the ich to die off. You don't want to use copper meds in your tank. I've used KickIch and had some success with it without killing my shrimp or other inverts. Although it didn't completely rid my tank of ich, I only see a spot here and there now and the shrimp keep it under control. I think your best bet though would be to quaranteen your fish for treatment and leave your main tank empty of fish as suggested.HTH
Old 08-28-2004, 12:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New at this

Hi there. Sorry about a late reply. I'm still getting use to this. besides my 30 gallon tank I only have a little 25 gallon tank with a spotted cardinal. I'm worried if I put my 2 clowns, lawnmower, and crabs in that tank someone is bond to get hurt. Previously my clowns had picked away at the fins of my spotted cardinals until I moved him into my 25 gallon tank. What kind of medicine could you suggest that would not harm my cleaner shrimp and blue legged crabs?

Cindy

Tags
attack, blob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com