black spots on tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys.It is me again.I guess it always has to be something.I started my tank last november.I was really happy<you can see my tank on Tank showcase> i did a lot of work.Today im really sad.I just saw on my yellow tang 5 black spots.Did some resarch and it looks like black ick.I read there is really no cure for it.What should i do?Maybe i should wait and do not panic yet?I read that even if i leave tank fishless the black ick can live and feed from substrate for several months<not like white ick>Is that true.That is terrible!!!:(What do you guys think?Maybe i just wait a little.Lets hope maybe that was a bad dream!!!!:mad:All fishes are very haapy and hungry<naso tang,tomato clown,yellow tang,diamond goby,flame angel<i flame -introduced 2 weeks ago-lfs did quarantine her for me,i should not trust them>Please say something optimistic:mad:

When my yellow tang had it years ago I just made sure of good parameters by doing weekly PWC`s and feeding plenty of Seaweed selects. Within a week or two they were gone and have not seen them since. I would probably be right in suggesting that a QT would be the route to go even though I did not go that route. At the time I had not heard of the QT venue. Usually when the fish is under stress is when the parasite is all over the fish. Check your water parameters and make sure that is not an issue.

QT with lots water changes are a good start. Lower the SG in the QT tank to help the fish too. Unlike Ich, this parasite can survive for months in the substrate of the main tank. Vacuuming the substrate after removing the fish may help. Skip the fw dips as they are quite stressful on the fish.

Good luck with the treatment.

thanks guys.I got for free 125 gal.tank witch i was thinking i will set as a fish only tank.I guess i use that one as my quarantine tank.I read that article from Melosu,so after taking my 5 fishes from main tank i give them formaline dipp,and put them in that 125 gal.Ccmor wrote that those black parasites can survive in main fishless tank many months.So what should i do?How long to wait?A year ? that is so depresing:confused::(Any time frame?I tried so hard was succesfull for 8 months.Spend so much money<chiller UV>to avoid exacly what happend.I always soak food in garlic,selcon,zoe.That is so depressing:confused::(

It does not have to be depressing. As I stated mine disapeared many yrs ago. Whether it was the UV light I have I dont know or if it was that I kept as much stress off the yellow tang or a combination I dont know. This is what I would do.

1. Do weekly 10-20% PWC`s and test your water to make sure your water parameters are OK.
2. Feed plenty of greens to your yellow tang. Seaweed selects or Nori or something similar.
3. Make sure there is nothing else stressing out the yellow tang.
4. (Optional) Read up on a UV. I use one and I know that their is a big debate on if a tank should have one. I feel like they do good. I have never had white spot and only black spot that I saw for a few weeks in my ten yrs. Was it the UV or was it my weekly PWC`s or my feeding every other day. I dont know but I`m going to keep it like it is as long as I have good results. I`m just suggesting that you read up on them for now. Read these

Aquarium Water Quality & Algae Control: Introduction to Aquarium UV Sterilizers

Aquarium Maintenance & Ultraviolet Sterilizers: Keep Your Aquarium Cleaner, Clearer, and Healthier

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...erilizers-and-Their-Use-in-Aquaria/Page1.html

Good advice Mike. I learned a long ago in FW tanks that pristine water conditions do more to fish heal than any medication. A formalin dip is quite stressful on the fish. If it is only the yellow tang with black spots I would put that one fish in QT and keep water quality very high by doing daily 20% water changes (in a cycled QT, more in one that isn't) and reducing the SG to 1.018 or so.

The UV is debatable, but I don't think it really hurts.

Thanks for all advice.Yes first i was really depressed.But i decided not to gave up!!!!I was so depressed because i knew how hard it is gonna be to catch all fishes if i have to.It would take me probably about 3 hours to take all corals and rocks and catch all fishes.I decided i give one try.In one hand flakes close to the surface,second a net.They come close for food,one scoop and i got him!!!!!!I got so lucky.I gave him formaline dipp<first time in my life> and put him in quarantine tank.All fishes in display tank looks great.Today he is happy,eat well,no black spots.Here is my question.I m prety sure that stress was the reson.After i put the flame angel <2 weeks ago>he fight with her for 4 days and never accept her.Since then he was nervus you could see that.So how long should i keep him in QT.And should i ever put him back to desplay tank?It is gonna be the same story.Flame angel is still there.Or should i gave him back to some lfs to avoid problems.What would You do???

3 bath treatments (once daily or every other day) up to 60mins: .50ml/gallon (Noga). Don't forget to add extra aeration since Formalin starves DO.

Thanks everybody.It is been a week now.He is in Q.T.I did 3 formaline dipp since.He looks fine.All fishes in display tank looks fine.How long i have to keep him in Q.T?What would You guys do?Should i try to give him to some lfs store or risk to get infected again in main.Once the fish was sick i think it has tendency to be sick again.Flame angel is still there.What You guys think?

IMO if you keep all the stress factors down like keeping him fed on greens and excellent water params he should be OK. I know mine beat it that way.

Back
Top Bottom