Blind fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a blue spotted puffer fish that seems to be blind. The fish just swims in circles and bumps into things, is it possible the fish is blind. He looks perfectly normal, the eyes are clear and full of normal colour, also I haven't seen him eat for two weeks where as before he would he all the time even by hand. Any suggestions please.

Probably not blind but could have an internal infection or a swim bladder problem, sometimes refered to as whirling disease. If the bladder is damaged it's not good, if a bacteial problem or blockage there is hope.

Does the fish look bloated at all, any stringy matter hanging from the anus or white feces? What is the main diet and does the puffer still have a strong appetite?

Cheers
Steve

The fish doesn't look bloated at all and there is no stringy matter and I am not sure about the feces. The fish does not seem to eat at all when I am watching so I am not sure if it is eating. Before the problem the fish would eat flakes, brine shrip, squid, lettice pretty much anything I gave it.

I would be concerned about the possibility of an internal parasite. Lack of appetite and the odd swimming are not good signs. You can try a few good water changes with well aged/aerated Sw to see if that helps any.

Might not be a bad idea to QT the fish and treat with Metronidazole. It will typically help with most internal "bug" issues.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom