Bloated clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had the same 2 clownfish for over 2 years now. The smallest of the 2 is bloated for the second time in 2 years. What I mean is its stomach is huge to the point that its eyes are bugging out and cant swim. It sets on the bottom and breathes heavily. He can swim but doesnt. Any suggestions? Last time this happened I put Epson salt in the tank and within a couple of days he passed whatever it was and was back to normal the same day....any experiences with this? Also its a false perc. I feed them brine, mysis, some small pellet food....Soaked in selcon, vitamin C, Zoe, and garlic.
Thanks

A meat only diet will do that to a fish over time. The vitamins you are adding definately help but adding some vegetable matter to the regular diet will go along way to making sure this doesn't happen again. Espom salts will help occasionally but some slightly softened mashed peas mixed in with the meaty food will clear the blockage quite quickly as long as the fish is still eating. The peas are also a good food source.

Cheers
Steve

Well sad to say but he died last night...I think it was in the process of moving the bloackage but some time during the night he was sucked into the side of a PH and died...Im bummed....thought I had it going my way.
The other clown is the larger of the two....can I get her another mate? I assume the larger of the two is the female???
I use the peas from time to time but all the fish want is the meaty stuff and just spit the peas out...how do you get them to eat it?

Sorry for your loss :(

fishman said:
The other clown is the larger of the two....can I get her another mate? I assume the larger of the two is the female???
Be sure the new addition is about ½ the size of the one you have now. Once it's gone through the QT period, try leaving the light off after introducing to the main tank for the first day or just run with actinics for a day or two. Less lighting helps believe it or not. There will be some aggression at first but it should subside. The larger female will posture in the beginning to establish dominance but the smaller clown will not appear as a threat so it will be short lived.

I use the peas from time to time but all the fish want is the meaty stuff and just spit the peas out...how do you get them to eat it?
As mentioned above the garlic may help but you should also try incorporating some veggie flakes and see what that brings about. Sometimes it just takes a few different tries before finding something they like. Ask your LFS if they have any free sample packs. Just be sure they're not too old.

Cheers
Steve

Steve
Have you personally done this with clowns? Reason I ask is I am friends with 2 different LFS and they are all telling me that its a 50-50 chance that a new smaller clown can be successfully intro. I have read along the lines moreso of what you are saying though. I know its not a guarentee but I just dont want to go through 4-6 weeks of QT and then put the new one in the tank to have them try and kill one another.

I hear what your saying but I have done this before on a few occassions and not yet had an issue. It is quite important though that the new addition be a very noticable size smaller than the current clown (½size or less). With A. ocellaris (?) you shouldn't have any concerns really. I had a female for well over a year before adding the male and they barely squabbled at all.

This isn't true of all clown species, some can be quite beligerant but with the clown you have, it isn't usually the case.

Cheers
Steve

I have a maroon clown, I know they are really aggressive, but is possible to get a smaller one in there or is it kinda risky?

Maroons are a riskier prospect but having a larger tank does help. I would call them a definate 50/50 though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom