Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2004, 09:12 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
If you have an apple and no test kits you're looking at trouble. I think you should probably try and return it until you get the hang of keeping your tank stabilized. You probably want to start off with something that's a little more forgiving to mistakes.

Jim

Old 02-25-2004, 08:00 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksplat
If you have an apple and no test kits you're looking at trouble. I think you should probably try and return it until you get the hang of keeping your tank stabilized. You probably want to start off with something that's a little more forgiving to mistakes.

Jim
Let me ask you, How often do you test the water in your tank?

Old 02-25-2004, 08:48 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I try to, at the very least, every other night. When I started the tank, I was checking it every day. This way I know exactly what is going on in the tank. If the pH starts falling, I can catch it, find the problem and fix it before all of my inverts die. In your case, if the apple dies, so will everything else in your tank.

Jim
Old 02-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I try to, at the very least, every other night. When I started the tank, I was checking it every day. This way I know exactly what is going on in the tank. If the pH starts falling, I can catch it
As Jim has started backing off on testing he will continue to do so until he tests once per week or biweekly or monthly as he gets to know his tank, but until you get to know your tank (and each and every tank is different) you should be testing often. Eventually the inhabitants will tell you when something is a little off even before a test kit would, but this takes lots of time spent with your tank and it's inhabitants. My recommendation would be to remove the sea apple and go cuss out the LFS jerk that allowed you to buy it. Sea Apples are filter feeding sea cukes and not only can they nuke your tank, they have very demanding feeding habits. They are not for new tanks or new hobbyests, there is just to much danger in keeping one of these critters if you don't know alot about them.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Quote:
I try to, at the very least, every other night. When I started the tank, I was checking it every day. This way I know exactly what is going on in the tank. If the pH starts falling, I can catch it
As Jim has started backing off on testing he will continue to do so until he tests once per week or biweekly or monthly as he gets to know his tank, but until you get to know your tank (and each and every tank is different) you should be testing often. Eventually the inhabitants will tell you when something is a little off even before a test kit would, but this takes lots of time spent with your tank and it's inhabitants. My recommendation would be to remove the sea apple and go cuss out the LFS jerk that allowed you to buy it. Sea Apples are filter feeding sea cukes and not only can they nuke your tank, they have very demanding feeding habits. They are not for new tanks or new hobbyests, there is just to much danger in keeping one of these critters if you don't know alot about them.

They wont let me return it - so Im stuck with it. I'll buy a kit and keep and eye on it. My tank is going on 8 weeks (not sure if yall consider that "brand new"). In any case - the Apple "seems" to be ok. Any hints on what a sick or dying Apple is supposed to look like?
Here are some photos of it.......
http://groups.msn.com/JohnniesWebSite/shoebox.msnw
Old 02-25-2004, 09:26 PM   #26

Now that I look at it again - It looks like its getting bigger and bigger and bigger - like a pregnant lady ready to burst - Have no idea is this is normal.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:26 PM   #27

OK - Now it looks like its happy!
Totally opened up - looks so gorgeous.
Will test water tomorror and keep yall informed with the Stats......
Old 03-04-2004, 10:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Quote:

OK - Check this out! It looks like some one threw up all inside my tank. The entire tank is covered with this Pink/Purple Dust - its stuck to all the glass, every rock and is even inside my live sand!! WTF is it? Does the Sea Apple Shoot out stuff at night?
By the way - nothing is dead - and the Water was tested perfect.
What happened to my tank? Any ideas?
Thanks
John
Old 03-04-2004, 11:00 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Can we get a pic? Could be coraline algae or some sort of spawning, or...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Can we get a pic? Could be coraline algae or some sort of spawning, or...
The Sea Apple had Babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!

and yall had me all scared! **** my tank looks Bad Azz!!!

Tags
new saltwater tank, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com