Brooklynella or Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
A day ago I have seen white spots on my two Ocellaris clownfish. I saw one of them jerking their head for a bit then stopped. I'm not sure if this is a symptom or a sign of submissiveness. I've also seen one of them scratched against a pvc pipe once but have not seen anymore behavior like this. Here is whats inside the tank. 20 gallon long with:
- an emerald crab
- 3 hermit crabs
- 2 ocellaris clownfish
- Firefish Goby
I've added the Firefish a week ago and I have not QT him. It could've came from him but I don't see any white spots on him. He always hides under the rocks and only comes out when I turn on the light. I use mostly RO water but I have done a water change with tap water this week cause i ran out (It is a FOWLR right now) and I do not want to use any copper based medicines since I am planning to make it into a reef. I don't have a quarantine tank available.
Parameters are at:
pH - 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10
Temp. - 78˚
SG - 1.020 ( I lowered it to 1.016 initially because the water at the lfs is at 1.015, sometimes lower, so they won't have a much drastic change in the water. It has been raising slowly throughout these past weeks.)
I bought these clownfish 3 weeks ago at petco and they seemed pretty healthy except one of them had a nipped ventral fin. They ate fine and were pretty active a couple of days after drip acclimating them for an hour. When I added the filefish two weeks later it was difficult to feed him because he hides inside a hole under the rocks. He eats flake food and brine shrimp and does not like mysis. He might've given the clownfish some disease since I don't have a Quarantine tank. So I am worried that my clownfish are sick. Is this Brooklynella or Ich? I have Furan 2, Malachite Green, and RidIch. Could I use any of these to treat whatever they have? Currently I am feeding them pellets soaked in garlic juice. Their fins also seem to be clamped lately.

Here are the pics. Sorry I can't get a good picture because they move around too much and I can't get them still.

Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 1328, IMG 1330, IMG 1331, IMG 1332

Can anybody help please? I've dosed rid it twice and done a water change in between and they don't seem to get any better or worse.

It says in the article that it can be treated with formalin baths. Can I do this with rid ich since it is 11.52% formalin? If so, how long would I do it and how much rid ich do I add to what amount of water?

It says in the article that it can be treated with formalin baths. Can I do this with rid ich since it is 11.52% formalin? If so, how long would I do it and how much rid ich do I add to what amount of water?

best would be in a quarantine tank.
I don't think that has high enough percentage of formalin to work.

are there instructions for using it as a dip?

Back
Top Bottom