Bta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are your water perameters? (salinity,ph,etc). It sounds like its dying. Is it starving? I feed mine bits of chopped scallops or shrimp every week. If your ph is to low or salinity is to high that can also cause them to react poorly. Check your perameters, do a 10% water change, try to feed it and see if it perks up.
Good luck!

Ph is 4.0, salinity is almost 30. Nitrates 5-10, phosphates too high. I need to so a
Big water change. Everyone else seems great chili coral eating, shrimp shedding,
Clown is sad I think:( my well ph is way low and I have to add buffer or a week to get that
Up to 8. Do you recommend a buffer that works fast?

Btw. If anything I feed him too much. Silverside pieces, plankton, mysis, my maroon feeds it
Well. Sometimes frozen shrimp pieces like I eat.

Normally when the nems have to get rid of waste, they will expel it from their mouths (only one way in and way out) but with a ph that low, it could be in severe duress. I'd retest that with another test kit. A ph of 4 is extremely low and on the acidic side. Best bet to get the ph up is through water changes and point some powerheads at the surface to promote alot of gas exchange to get more O2 in the water. The buffers are only a temp fix and a sudden swing in ph can do more harm then good.

Good lol I was gonna say, at 4 you should be seeing bubbles in your tank from stuff dissolving. Then what you probably saw was the nem getting rid of waste. Mine do it all the time, nothing to really worry about. You might want to cut back on it's feedings though to help improve your water quality. I only feed my two BTA's once a week and they do fine. They get most of their food from light anyway.

I feed them about once a wk then clown feeds him while he eats.
My other nem is shriveling up for weeks now. Won't live, won't die.
Phosphates are high. Gotta do a big water chg after ph is right. Should I use
Ro water w no salinity to bring that down from 30?

Phosphates don't play a really big role with nems like they do other corals. The primary reasons you want to keep phos under control are that they fuel nuisance algae and they inhibit the calcification process in stony corals. A ph of 8.4 is fine so I wouldn't be concerned with that.

As for the salinity, 30 is actually on the low side. Inverts usually do best at around 35 (1.026 SG). I would do some waterchanges to increase it slowly over a week or so.

I thought 030 was higher than 026.
1.030 salinity on my ph meter. How do you use those
calibration solution packets? I'm afraid my meter is
losing calibration because it gets to its levels at a creeping
pace.

I guess we got our measurements confused, I thought you meant the salinity was 30, salinity and specific gravity are two different scales for measuring the salt in the water. Your reading in specific gravity, in that case you definitely want to bring it down to 1.026. You can drop it down over the course of a week or so using plain RO water.

If your using some sort of electronic meter, hopefully someone else can chime in to help you with that. I use just a handheld refractometer.

With a refractometer... Make sure you calibrated it ( i recheck mine every couple months). Calibrate it with your rodi water. When checking salinity should read at 1.025. To bring it down over the next few days.....trade out some of your salt water for rodi. Dont bring it down all at once...can stress the critters out even more. Once you get salinity where it should be...make sure you top off your tank everyday so you dont have anymore salinity swings.

Back
Top Bottom