Bubble coral dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squidly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone, so the last two years I have had this absolutely magnificent bubble coral. The last couple of weeks (5 or 6?) I first noticed the mouth of the coral very open to the point where I can see straight down inside the coral. I then noticed that the mouth seems to be open or stretched out most the time and half the coral looks good but the other half almost seems to be shrinking and tissue receding. The coral has never moved positions in the last two years so I doubt flow or lighting is an issue. Is this normal, something to worry about, or signs of illness or death? Also, my clown fish have been laying eggs if that effects water parameters in some strange way? Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone IMG_4513.jpg

Has there been any changes in the tank recently? I would be looking towards a flow change since only half of the coral isn't as inflated as normal. If the clowns are rubbing around in it that could also be the cause.

Clowns haven't touched it and no flow change. I got really cheap last time I was at the LFS and bought a really cheap salt so I wonder if it's been from switching salts maybe?

Such a change wouldn't be only causing half of the coral to not inflate as much. Same with the parameters in the water column.
The mouth being wide is pointing that it is stressed. When was the last time the powerheads were cleaned? If they are clogging up to restrict flow or were just cleaned it could have changed the flow pattern and stressed it out.
Have you considered moving it to a different location?

There is no direct flow caused by any powerhead, but I might try to move and see if the problem persists? I thought the same thing and figured that the entire coral would be closed if something was wrong due to water quality.

Those corals are very susceptible to the brown Jelly disease. You might want to google that. It can be brought on by trauma to the polyps by massive flow problems or fish causing it.

Back
Top Bottom