Bubble Tip Anemones dying or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleyharris7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so we have two bubble tip anemones (pink) and we have had them for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday one of them started to look wilted and its mouth was open it stayed like this for a couple of hours then perked up and looked healthy again. This morning when I woke up he was back in the same wilted shape with open mouth. This lasted for a few hours and then he perked up. He looked great all afternoon and then all of a sudden he was back wilted? Any suggestions? The only time we change the light is at night we lower it to the blue lights and then have the regular light on it all day. My tank is an IQ5. Any suggestions? Is he dying or just excreting waste? The other one looks fine.

Would love any advice you have to offer!!! Thanks.

How old is the tank? What are your parameters? What type of lighting?

We have had the tank for about 1 1/2 months. It is a a 16 gallon tank, I believe it is a LED light (white light and blue lighting). We have a live rock, gobbi, 2 clown fish and two Royal Grumma's (I think, they are kind of psycho fish). an urchin and the two anemone's. The anemone's are on a rock. Does that answer your question? Salinity looks good and had the water tested last week and was a good balance. The anemone's were fed day before last.

May not be enough light. They require a bunch. Also, if your nitrates are high, that'll effect them. Plus your tank is young. I would recommend atleast a 6 mo to 1 yr tank before getting a nem. If you take it out and it smells, it's dying and could nuke your whole tank. If it's still attached and "swelling", just let it be.

This morning he was looking very weak and then perked up and looked awesome plump and tentacle's flowing nicely and really a great color. Then he went back to limp. The water does not have an odor. Will he detach from the rock when he dies? Or do I wait for the smell? I don't want the whole tank to go??? I put the light directly on him. He is on the bottom of the tank on a rock but close to the shell flooring should he be at the top closer to the light?

I would also question the lighting. Most "reef" ready led lighting isnt enough for nems. They require established tanks, with pristine water and super lighting.

I'd also wonder about your parameters, you have alot of fish in that tank. :) I wouldnt have gone with more than 3 myself. lol I would also suggest going out and getting your own API saltwater master kit, abotu $20 on amazon.com so you can know EXACTLY what your parameters are especially with such delicate livestock.

If it detaches or withers and no movement, REMOVE it immediately. Doesn't take much to poison such a small tank. +1 on getting your own test kit.

I will try and get a picture uploaded. I am guessing it is the lighting. I put the light directly pointed at it and it seems to be doing a little better. Also, do you know anything about the Royal Gamma fish? They are CRAZY they pester the nem. They must like getting stung. It just lays next to it all the time and the clown fish swim through it the Gamma lays next to it like it likes getting shock treatment?!!

My gramma stayed clear of my nem when I had it. As did everything else in the tank. lol Another reason I gave the nem away.

I guess my Gamma's are crazy like I thought :) OK, so I put my light directly pointed at the nems and they are totally alive again. So I am guessing it was the light issues... One last question so if my nems require this much light but the rest of the tank likes a "low" light period so algae and things don't grow on it what do I do? Who knew this would be so much work! I am used to 4 legged friends :) lol

Ur best bet is to get a bigger tank or sell them unfortunately. By sell, I mean re-home or trade for them.

did you get the nems from the same place as the tank,if so take them back.They should know not to sell nems to people who have young tanks and not the correct lighting.Your lighting is the main problem,unless you upgrade the lights the are destined to die along with nuking your tank.As stated by carey get yourself a decent liquid test kit not a strip test kit so you can actually look after your tank yourself,if you dont know theirs something wrong with the water how will you fix it in time!!!

Back
Top Bottom