Bubble tip caught in powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryB

Aquarium Advice Activist
image-4154447443.jpg

So I woke up to my new stuck in my power head. I have took the head out and hived the piece it's attached to on a rock.

Does the nem look dead or is there a way I can save him? I don't have a qt tank.

I'd do a large water change. Get any chunks out if you can. Check parameters and run some carbon. Either way, an anemone moving points out to it not being happy, either from flow, lighting, or unstable parameters. Addressing these will solve the underlying issue.

I just got the nem last night so I think it was finding a nice spot and got caught. He was chilling on a rock extended when I went to bed turned the lights on and he was stuck.

I did a pwc before I picked him up. I will check parameters and do another change today.

He's still in the tank it looks like he is slowly sliding off the powerhead screen and onto a rock, but maybe it's wishful thinking. He is also not extending any of this tips.

I guess when do I pull the plug and take him out of the tank?

My daughter loves it so daddy can't fail.

Salinity 1.025
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Trates 0
Temp 78F

It's a 29 bio cube
No protein skimmer
40lbs of sand
35 lbs live rock (maybe more)
Running for about a year
10 3w blue leds
10 6w white leds.

Livestock
2 clowns
1 bta

The nem is closed right now, it's seems to be attached to the power head plastic impeller guard. It was sucked into it a bit but seems to have gotten itself unstuck and is just attached to the bottom smooth part. I placed the plastic on a rock and just left it. It's been there for an hour closed but like I said maybe slowly moving. The nem never got sucked into the impeller just stretched real thin.

The lights are off right now should I turn them back on. Should I put a power head on him to get him to detach? Should I just leave him and hope for the best?

Thanks for the help.

Here is a more recent photo

image-593857407.jpg

I made the lights myself. The brand is Cree leds. I guess what specifically do you want to know about them.

It looks like it's foot is torn. That is usually fatal unless extra careful care is taken. The most important thing you need is very clean water. That will help it out the most. Other than that you can only wait and hope. Just remember if it dies that it could nuke your whole system. Keep a bucket ready for a water change if needed. I had an anemone not too long ago with a torn foot. I dosed with live phyto and Rotifers daily also, so I'm not sure if that helped. It fully recovered.

Yeah it's foot is defiantly torn. Right now the only thing I can do is dose some iodine. I can go out later and get other supplies.

It seems to have attached partially to the rock I placed it on. So I would assume that's a good sign.

Is there some stuff I should look for at the Lfs or just the two things you listed.

This happened to me last night with my pink tip anemone I tried for hours after I got it to get it to stick to something in my tank and this morning I woke up and I had to take my power head apart in order to get it unstuck any suggestions on how to keep it from getting stuck and I don't know if its alive or not anyway I can tell?

Yeah it's foot is defiantly torn. Right now the only thing I can do is dose some iodine. I can go out later and get other supplies. It seems to have attached partially to the rock I placed it on. So I would assume that's a good sign. Is there some stuff I should look for at the Lfs or just the two things you listed.
No I really wouldn't try dosing any new chemicals, just those two live foods. You don't know how everything is going to react with new chemicals, and you don't want to stress it out even further.

This happened to me last night with my pink tip anemone I tried for hours after I got it to get it to stick to something in my tank and this morning I woke up and I had to take my power head apart in order to get it unstuck any suggestions on how to keep it from getting stuck and I don't know if its alive or not anyway I can tell?
I see you have found the thread lol. Anyways, ime it's foot turned pale when it was dead. But that was with a BTA. If it's floating around the tank and doesn't show reaction to touch then it's most likely dead, close to dying, or very stressed out. If you have anything in your tank that you like more than your anemone and don't want to lose, then I wouldn't risk it. You said it got torn up pretty bad, so it's hard to say wether it will live or not.

Yes last night was real bad I have no idea how long it was stuck but I'm guessing almost the whole night but when I went to bed it was moving across the tank but this time it's foot got sucked into the power head and a lot of its arms are shortened

This is what it looked like when I first got it and then what it looks like now I'm thinking its dead

Attachments

• image-1582158594.jpg
    image-1582158594.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image-92866022.jpg
    image-92866022.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3518895603.jpg
    image-3518895603.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 103
Ouch that looks much worse than mine. Good luck.

I think it is still alive because it started to ball up I moved it where these excellent light and then moved my power head away from it and then put some small rock around it to keep it from rolling over

image-2856265958.jpg

Well the tips have expanded and it's moving a bit. Now we will wait it out. Seems to be a trooper.

It's still alive so happy left To go paint balling and came back and it was perfectly fine the tips are cut a lil bit though which makes me feel bad for the nem

Back
Top Bottom