can inverts get ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didnt think so but my fire shrimp has white spots. not his natural white spots.. It looks like ich. This is stressing me out so bad.. I might buy the book salt water aquariums for dumbies lol. Help please. He is eating fine I treated for ich not too long ago with ich attack and it came back so now im trying a different approach and got a quarantine tank and now im treating with coppersafe. Of course im not treating my inverts. Just my bw clowns.

65 gallons two bw clowns fire shrimp cleaner shrimp and 1 damsel. 15 snail 15 hermits 60 lbs live rock and base rock going through algea cycle
750 circulation pump sump with charcol and purigen t5 haligen lights two blue led lights

dosing tank with purple up, salt content 23/24, all levels good with the exception of trates on the high side. diatoms growth is high

quaratine tank 10 g with lights and filter.. dosing with coppersafe.

feeding formula two with mysis shrimp.

Greenturtle said:
does that mean any fowlr with ICH is a reef tank?

No, a reef tank usually has live corals, inverts like shrimp, crabs and starfish. Ich is a parasite that infests a fishes gills and body.

Ick can not host inverts, but can hitch a ride with anything from tank to tank..Its best to QT anything wet that you plan on putting in your DT

what could you treat your inverts for that wont kill them then? ich attack? And since im treating my bw clowns with copper safe and it rids them of ich and i put them back in my tank will they get it again? Im asking bc ich is caused by their natural slime on their body gets rubbed off or broken down and this copper safe is suppose to kill the ich and replenish their natural slime so will this prevent them from getting it again?

The medication will only clear off the ich from the fish. If you put then right back in the tank that has ich they can get it again. It takes about 6 weeks of NO fish in a tank for the ich to be gone.

So your saying keep bw clowns in qt and put damsel in and leave inverts in dt for six weeks then place fish back in after 6 weeks and ill be good?

and what about my fire shrimp?? just not worry about him? and should I dose the tank or just do frequent water changes??

Thats' the standard way to be sure that your fish won't get re infected. The ich has a 6 week life cycle and as long as they have no fish to attach to they will die. After they fall off the fish they are still in your tank waiting for more fish to infect.

As long as you treat your fish in QT and leave your DT fallow (i'd do 8 weeks)...you'll be ick free

So as for my fire shrimp the white spots on him are just him being a carrier of the ich?

Ya we established that. So all fish are out of my Dt and are in qt. How long till the ich starts going away with this copper safe?

Back
Top Bottom