chocolate chip star fish loses arm!!!! help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmhadden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my starfish has somehow had one of his rarms rips off. I know that they can regenerate but my question is do I need to completely sever the arm that has been ripped off? its just kinda hanging on by a string now. what should I do?

cmhadden said:
its just kinda hanging on by a string now. what should I do?
Nothing you can do directly. As long as the mouth is in tact and the water quality is high, it should survive just fine. I would be to check all the nitrogens and do a few good water changes with well aged/aerated SW to be on the safe side.

Is this a new star or has it been there awhile? Do you know how it lost the limb?

Cheers
Steve

the star has been in the tank for about 8 to 9 months. i believe that the clarki clown i have attacked it.

cmhadden said:
i believe that the clarki clown i have attacked it.
8O An adult mated/mating pair? Seems like an odd circumstance. Keep an eye on it non the less. If they did it once, they'll do it again especially if protecting a nesting area.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry to belabor the point but it just seems really odd that a sole clarkii would do this. Did you actually witness it happening or saw something after the fact?

I would double check to be sure it was not an unprotected powerhead or some stray hitchiker...

How is the stars general size and appearance, same or better than when you got it?

Chers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom