cleaner shrimp hiding out!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

standridge32

Aquarium Advice Regular
My cleaner shrimp has been hiding all day. I've been told they do this when they molt. Can anyone confirm this? Hes normally very active and always playing around.

Yes they do hide when they molt to proctect their soft body from getting ate. You will see a empty shrimp shell in the tank

Thanks for confirming that. I have another question will they crawl in spaces they can get stuck?

He's been there since 1030 this morning and its now ten till 9. And I know where he's at and this is the first time I seen him in this spot. Is under some live rock with a whole the size of a nickel and he's setting in the whole with his tentacles hanging out.

I've never had this problem either its weird. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. How long does it take for their new shell to harden. So I know when I should be worried?

I did get him out. I placed food outside the whole and he attempted to get it so I picked up the rock and put my finger in the hole trying to get him to back out of the hole and he tried but couldn't so I had to grab his tail and slowly pull him out. Today he is laying on his side kicking. He will prob die I hope not though. It will be the first creature I've lost in my tank.

My shrimp molt like every other week and its usually a few days before they are out and about again. But usually I can find them if I search hard enough.

Ya that's what I heard but he was legitimately stuck. I seen him trying to come out of the hole for the food and just couldn't get out. I feel bad for him. I really don't know what to do for him he's completely on his side kicking.

Ya that's what I heard but he was legitimately stuck. I seen him trying to come out of the hole for the food and just couldn't get out. I feel bad for him. I really don't know what to do for him he's completely on his side kicking.
as long as nothing that cant be fixed by moultingh is damaged,if you keep him alive until his next moult he should be fien

I'm trying I have him all by himself so the fish don't pick at him since he is on his side kicking. And yes I got him out already. He's not stuck anymore.

Back
Top Bottom