Cleaner shrimp temperament?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
My first cleaner shrimp was a Banded Coral, and he still resides in my 55SW. I've since set up a 40 SW and We got a shrimp for that tank, a Fire Shrimp.

I have a relatively new Tang that arrived with some marine ich and the BC immediately went to work on him, but was pretty rough with the Tang and even left some scrapes on the Tang. They would battle a little bit too and bite/claw (respectively) each other occasionally.

When the 40 was ready we put the tang in with the fire shrimp in the 40. Within 5 minutes the Tang sidled up flat to the fire shrimp, and the fire shrimp jumped on top of Tang and went into Turbo mode. A lot more gentle and about 10 X faster than BC shrimp.

So I really like the BC shrimp but wow that fire shrimp seems to be a lot more proficient at cleaning delicately and quickly, and I would bet that the peppermints and skunks would be the same way when compared to BC shrimp which seem to have a more rough and tumble temperament.

I was just wondering if that is typical of Banded Coral shrimp vs. the sires/skunks/peppermints?. Oh plus the BC is pretty big, antennae tip to tip is about 10 inches.

Just wondering about your experiences.

The CBS is not really considered one of the better cleaner shrimp and will even eat small fish if it can catch them ;)

For my money the best cleaner shrimp is the skunk cleaner, they tend to be less shy (tell that to mine, LOL) and are good cleaners. FWIW, if you got the money adding more fire shrimp will make them more active and bold, the last time I had a fire shrimp, the only time I ever saw it was when I fed the tank.

So that's why the CBS was always lunging at the little damsels when they were in the 55!!

Uh oh....

I have a pair of Juvenile true percs in the 55 now (they are only fish in there besides a lawnmower blenny)

Should I get CBS outa there fast and relocate him so he doesn't eat the percs?? The percs each have an anemone but...... 8O

I feed the CBS mysis and cyclop eeze when I feed the anemones so I think he's not super hungry. I hope he's not looking for a striped snack. THAT would be a very very bad thing.

Crap...

Should I get CBS outa there fast and relocate him so he doesn't eat the percs??

It is very rare that they can actually catch the fish. Usually the fish is sick and the CBS is just completing the circle of life ;)

i sometimes clip the coral banded shrimp claws of so he wont ne much of a menace...he is not good at cleaning anyway. i think cleaner shrimp are the best and they look cool too just hanging on the edge of the ridge waiting for fish to clean.Fire shrimp is nice too..i got two of them and they are okay but kinda too pricey for $25-$30 dollars down here in New Orlean.

I have a peppermint and now my Blue Tang, Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty will wait in line for service.... It's a fascinating thing to watch... But I can only speak for the peppermint as that's all I've ever had...

Someday I will have a peppermint. But that means I need a third SW tank.

Ohhh.... I would say a 300 or so gallon tank would be fine.

Yes, that'd do.

hehe!!

Anyway I do still want a peppermint shrimp sometime.

I have kept cbs and peppermint shrimp in a 37 gal tank together for 2 years now and they seem to be doing well together. The cbs just goes around picking stuff out of the rock and sand. My cleaner shrimp does all the dirty work. 0X

Back
Top Bottom