clown looks sick all the time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishing

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 40 gallon fowlr has been fully cycled for three months as of now. I have since added a pair of false percula clowns, a small sailfin tang and a long nosed hawk fish along with two shrimp, a cleaner and a pepermint. These fish have been in my tank for about a month and two weeks. My clowns, well actually one of them, of which is the smallest of the two, has never looked right. I noticed he always has a whitish looking slime on him. By the way, I always QT my fish. I don't think it's brooklynella because it would have killed him long ago. When they were in QT, his tail got damaged and it hasn't grown in full yet. The larger one does pick on him from time to time. Could this be stress or something or what? Both of them eat fine and always had. My tank has a salinity of 1.026 to 1.028 and a temperature of 80 degrees. Is this right or do I need to alter something?

Hello, I sent in a water sample to my LFS yesterday afternoon and they tested it for me. I need some answers. PH is 8.2, no ammonia nor nitrite, 25 to 45 ppm of nitrate, 1.027 SG and 80 degree temp. My LFS told me that the salinity is high and I should reduce it to 1.020-1.023 to have better results with the slime on the percula, since high salinity such as 1.027 tends to irritate the fish, causing it to secrete excess mucus. I don't believe that because the salinity in the ocean in my area is 1.028 which is even higher and none of my other fish in the tank are experiencing the problem with slime. I would think that SW fish would be happier and more stress-free in natural ocean strength such as 1.027-1.028. What's your opinion? They also said that the nitrates are a bit high, too. However, since there's no corals in the tank, nitrates are not that important unless if they go over 50 ppm. Should I go by this scenario? Also, ny tank doesn't have a protein skimmer, but I'm planning on adding one soon. My current filtration system is a penguin bio-wheel 330 along with a small power head for circulation. Should I remove the bio-wheels and add the skimmer or, should I just leave them in place and add the skimmer as well? Thank you!

I have had more luck with using a bio-wheel filter without the bio-wheel and using a protien skimmer. The bio-wheel is a nitrate factory. My salinity is also about where yours is at and have had no problems, and having a protien skimmer is only going to benefit a sw tank.

If he is getting picked on, the stress could be effecting him. I would try and get the spg down to .024-.025 and see if that helps. Also try lacing their food with a vitamin supplement such as selcon. I agree loose the biowheel filter and add the skimmer, the nitrates would most likely go down.
Another problem down the road, that tank is way too small for a salifin tang. I hope an upgrade is in your future. They can get huge.

Back
Top Bottom