Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2005, 01:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The clowns have now been in qt for 3 weeks, and the growths are still on them.

Little Clown: He still has it the worst. While the growths/spots have seemed to move around some on his right side, he still has nothing on this left side.

Big Clown: He still has the one spot on his lip but it's slowly dissappearing i think.

Both clowns are acting healthy and eating good. they've been in hypo for three weeks and i've been feeding them flakes saturated in Zoecon([acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]). The bigger clown has begun to taunt the littler one but i'm guessing that's just them figuring out their sexuality. Also, I did the surgery on them to try and remove the spots. It was difficult and i dont' know how effective it was.

So my question is this, since the growths/spots have never dissppeared the 3 weeks the little clown has been in qt, we can rule out ich right? So should i acclimate them back into the main tank so they can heal from the lympho they have or whatever else it may be? FYI, if i put them back into the tank, i'll have a heck of a time getting them back and i'll probably have to tear apart my reef again to put them back in qt....so i want to make sure i treat them now and get the problem solved.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Did you try the SW formalin bath? May want to give is a wirl first to be sure. It will take you a week to get the SG back up to normal (.001 increase per day) and would be a good opportunity to do so. Better safe than sorry.
Here is the link again to SW formalin bath.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...alinbaths.html

I had a similar problem a while back and these baths are very effective if it is brooks.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #13
steve-s

Agreed with QS but I would continue the hypo to it's end. They are already there and it can only yield possitive results. Besides, if an additional treatment is required, they are right where they need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn
While the growths/spots have seemed to move around some on his right side, he still has nothing on this left side.

Big Clown: He still has the one spot on his lip but it's slowly dissappearing i think.
Can you post some new pics if possible of the affected areas. Lympho doesn't move, it gets get larger or smaller.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-16-2005, 02:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is the best i could do. So you're recommending a formalin bath and finishing out my hypo treatment for one more week. Should i do any treatment for a possible fungus infection that we discussed earlier or do you think it could only be Brooks at this point? The reason i ask is the spots on the little clown havent' been explained yet because i read that spots are not a symptom of brooks. TIA

little clown on left (showing his left side...the unaffected side)

little clown on top (showing his right side, the infected side)

little clown on right

as you can see, the spots have gotten significantly smaller. Yet they are not gone. But to recap, the smaller clown never had excess slime....only the bigger one did. And these are tank raised clowns.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
steve-s

It's rather hard to tell exactly what the "nodes" are. To be honest they could be lympho, bacterial or extremely rare, fungus.

I would lean more towards the lympho at this point given the slow rate of decrease without medicating but what I would suggest is the week before the fish are re -introduced, do the SW formalin baths and use Maracyn II for SW in the QT. It will help if bacterial, if lympho it won't do a thing. At the very least the Vitamin B in the antibiotic will be good for them.

For the record, tank raised fish are still WC

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-26-2005, 03:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's been over a month now since they went into qt. I've got the formalin coming in the mail today and i'll give them a bath in it. The bigger clown seems to have healed completely and his color has really gotten darker and more lush! This is really great because it's pretty much the first time i've ever been successful in treating a sick fish The littler clown has also healed extensively and only one or two small little bumps remain on him. But he also appears a little more well colored. I plan on acclimating them back into the main tank either today or tommorrow. I haven't usued the MaracynII yet but it's coming in the mail with the formalin. Should i hold off on acclimating them back into the main so i can run them through a MaracynII treatment in the qt for a few days or is it safe to say the're ready to go back in the main afer a formalin bath later today?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn
Should i hold off on acclimating them back into the main so i can run them through a MaracynII treatment in the qt for a few days or is it safe to say the're ready to go back in the main afer a formalin bath later today?
Given the (good news) on the reduction of the problem, I would hold off on the Maracyn II treatment for now. Leave the clowns in the hypo condition until it completely clears up and then move forward with the salinity increase, formalin treatments and then transfer back to the main. They are otherwise getting back to their optimal health by the sounds of it so I would continue on as you have until fully recovered.

Please be very sure you follow these instruction to the letter when you do the series of SW formalin baths (1 bath every third day for a total of 3 baths using 20 drops per gallon). Especially the part on aeration. It doesn't mention this but be sure the water clears before beginning the treatment. The formalin will make the water a bit cloudy so wait for that to disapate.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com