Concerns....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
1st, tank stats:

temp: 78
salinity: 1.022
ph: 8.3
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 20ppm

2nd, issues: I guess I'll just go by timeline. 2 days ago I noticed my little burma trigger pulling some... interesting... manuvers. He was kinda flipping himself into a rock, like ricocheting off it and darting upwards. I noticed he had some redness where he was hitting it, it looked almost like a rash, but the rock was red and he seemed ok after he stopped, and since there was no desease that fit that discription in my noob guide, I didnt worry about it and assumed it was just rock residue on him. Now the trigger is not active and is not frolicking around like usual, I actualy thought I mushed him into the ground when I moved a rock the other day cuz I didnt see him until the next morning. Today again, hes not out and I cant find him (last time he was gone I found him chillin in a little rock pocket.) Also today i notice all 3 active fish have a little white dot (2 have it on their shoulder area, one has it right above its eye) and I fear this is marine ich? Its only 1 dot so far, but i'd like to treat it now if it is infact something I need to be treating.

Any idea what might be up with the little trigger? He was fine and dandy up until 2 days ago.

What he was doing is called "flashing".
He was flashing a rock which could indicate that he was trying to use it to scratch an itch.
An itch, or flashing can be for almost any kind of skin irritation or parasite, so flashing in itself doesn't necessarily mean Ich... but since you are also seeing white spots... it's almost a certainty that's what it is.

Here's a brief article by Fluff on Ich: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=50

There's also a wide variety of treatments and methods for dealing with Ich.
UV sterilizers, herbal treatments, vitamin supplements, going fallow, hyposalinty, freshwater dips, etc., etc.
You can do a search for Ich in the saltwater forums using the link at top and read up on a lot of other people's experiences to help you along.

Thanks for moving it for me mel, wasnt thinkin lol.

Ok... so I got home about 15 min ago and the other 3 fish are fine, i think i was just paranoid about the ich, the dots on all 3 are not there anymore and ive looked to see if there was anything else and I dont see anything. Ill keep an eye out definetly thought.

As for the trigger.... I came home to find him kinda wedged in an area thats not really hidden, but hes not reacting to other fish that come up and check him out. Hes breathing ok but hes not moving at all. Theres nothing I can see on him, and the way hes turned I cant see if theres anything red still on his chin area, but he is totally lethargic. Im headed to the lfs to pick up some copper stuff they recomended to me.

Just remember one thing. When you see these salt like grains on the fish and then a day later they are gone does not mean the ick is gone. They will fall off the fish and fall to the bottom and over 200 tomites will come from each one and then the cycle starts over. Next thing you know the tank and fish are infested. So if you see any make sure you move quick and dilligently. I hope all is well.

I got a bottle of kick-ich (holy christ is its expensive) but Im going to hang onto it for a day. I think ill monitor the fish and see what happens. If I see any more white specks on any fish, i'll start dosing the tank. (until then, id really rather not crack the seal on a $45 bottle of stuff if I dont have to)

as for the trigger... the guy at the store (not the guy I talked to on the phone incidentally) said it sounded like normal trigger behavior to hide most of the day and stuff, but from what I saw the trigger do before this started, its like a compleate 180 behavioral change. Again, i think the best route is to wait a day and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom