Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Convert my FO tank to reef?

I am getting the reef bug. I've had a FO tank for 20 years and want to convert to reef. My current system is as follows:

55gal drilled
30gal Sump (currently I have Bio/Ball chamber)
AquaMedic Turboflow 1000 Protein Skimmer
Clear Ocean Filter 325 (25 micron, w/ 5 lbs carbon)
15w UV filter
Blueline return pump (HD 30)
440 Ice cap VHO, 1 Actinic 03, 1 Actinic Combo (I don't have a reflector the hood is white formica)
100 gal/day RO/DI system
Rio 600 circulation pump in tank

What would I need to convert to reef. I know I will need to take out the Bio/Balls, but would I need to upgrade my lighting. Maybe I could start with this lighting and upgrade later. Currently I don't have any LR.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:48 AM   #2
steve-s

I would actually start with the LR first. Since you most likley have fish, you will need to re-cure whatever you decide to get seperately. This article should help > Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!. The lighting you have now will most likely sustain the LR fine once it's in the tank. 2 VHO bulbs would still be enough for some various types of soft corals depending on the bulb output and depth of the tank. If you are a DIY person, they could be integrated into an MH/VHO retrofit and save you a fair amount.

What kind of fish do you currently have?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 AM   #3

My current fish won't be a problem. I have a 3" queen angel, tomato Clown. blue tang. I can take them to my local fish store and trade them in for other stuff, that I can use in the reef system.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a sand or coral substrate in the tank? Or do you have something else. Most people are switching to the DSB in a reef tank. This also means getting inverts like hermit crabs and snails as well.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:49 PM   #5

Thanks, after I posted this, I visited Tampa Bay Saltwater, and they have a package system for a 55 gal reef that included, LR, sand, crabs and stuff. I live in a Tampa and can pick it up, saving on shipping cost.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tampa Bay saltwater has the best lr I have ever seen online, it makes me wish I still lived there I would def. start with that and some crabs, snails, etc. Good luck with the tank!

Tags
reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com