CopperSafe treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi smart people,

I currently have three fishes which had marine velvet (according to your advice and looking at pictures) in a ten gallon QT with CopperSafe by Mardel (chelated copper sulfate it says).

In the sticky here about treating diseases, I read that I have to keep testing the levels of copper, but on the package of CopperSafe it says use 1 tsp/4 gallons, and that it treats for four weeks. Doesn't that mean just put it in once and forget it? There's nothing about testing or adding further doses later.

Or am I misunderstanding? Thanks!

The fishies all look perfect, by the way!

I found the dosing amount they recommend will put you way over the recommended levels of 1.5-2ppm. Make sure you test your actual copper levels after you dose. I use an API kit with CopperSafe.

The levels won't drop over time, but you should be doing partial water changes in your qt, especially with 3 fish in a 10g. When you do water changes, you must test the copper and adjust to get it back up to 1.5-2ppm.

Thanks so much! I do know I have to keep doing water changes, and I have medicated water made up for that. I don't have a copper test kit yet. I can get one tomorrow. Are the "excessive" dosages recommended on the package harmful to the fish, or just overkill to sell more product?

Another question: There are no fish in my main tank, only inverts.. How long does this tank have to remain fishless after marine velvet? I think 6 weeks or so is recommended for ich.

Yes on both accounts.
Higher than recommended levels of copper can be fatal or lead to permanent damage to the fish. Make sure you get the proper test kit. The API works with CopperSafe.
6 weeks should be fine to leave the tank fishless.

Back
Top Bottom