CORAL DOES NOT OPENED FULLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

len

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I JUST UPGRADED MY TANK FROM A 2FT TO 3FT 40gal size tank.,......my prob is during the 1st week this coral seems to opened up pretty good but today it seems that these corals refuse to opened at large...just 50% of it! ....i do a test on my salinity and water

nitrite - 0
ammonia - 0
ph - 8.0
kh- good
nitrate - 25mg/l
use calcium raise liquid form
F.O.R.M

does it because of my nitrate level?...if yes how can this happen in 2weeks?...i have only 4 fishes.........10-corals - live rocks , cleaner shrimp..etc

please help......my english may be poor but a little help means so much
thank you

I JUST UPGRADED MY TANK FROM A 2FT TO 3FT 40gal size tank.,......my prob is during the 1st week this coral seems to opened up pretty good but today it seems that these corals refuse to opened at large...just 50% of it!

Did you upgrade the lights as well?
What is the height of the tank?
What is the lighting configuration on the tank?
What kind of coral is it?

nitrite - 0
ammonia - 0
ph - 8.0
kh- good
nitrate - 25mg/l
use calcium raise liquid form
F.O.R.M

PH is a little low, should shoot for 8.3-8.4
What is the ALK? (number please either in meq/L, DKH, or ppm)
What is the CA reading?
What is calcium FORM?
What are the phosphate readings?

upgraded to PL light very strong and bright!..tank is 36 by 18 by 18 in inches....position is perfect ......coral - octopus torch, chili coral etc....

ph can never shoot up again even after daily buffering....
no idea on ca, phospate and akl is 3.6meq/l
what is calcium FORM?

HELP?

hmmm, you should check your CA. From the previous post, I'm going to make a WAG (wild @$$ guess) and say you didn't acclimate the corals to the new more intense light. Shorten your photoperiod, by 1/2, and raise it back to normal in increments of 1 hour per week. I would also like you to be more specific as to which coral is experiencing the problem, is it the torch? Euphyllia glabrescens?

pl

pl light is the new generation light made by taiwan and widely use in asia espicially in singapore its another source of lighting which is strong and less current consumption...............

i did not acclimate those coral.......yet the torch that doesnt opened up big

I have just one question for you that no one seemed to ask....are you adding Iodine to your water?? I've found (though personal experience) that most corals need Iodine in the water. When first place they suck it all up and need something to replenish it. Only reason I found this out is cause my corals were doing the same thing...yet once I started adding a few drops of Iodine everyday they have really opened up for me. I know its not much but just an idea.

Peace,
DHS

Adding Iodine is OK but is a personal preference. Make sure you test for any chemicals you put in the tank. Frequent water changes should replenish trace elements also. Good point on a large number of corals sucking up all the trace elements to the point of exhaustion.

Mark

Iodine seems to really help soft corals. Im not sure about LPS. However, it is indeed and personal preference. I do use it, although I have gotten a lot of flack from some people for using it, as they say it is a poison. Which it is, but used in moderation I have found it benifical, with no adverse effects.

Back
Top Bottom