Coral won’t open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought this coral about 2 weeks ago as my first coral and everything has been doing fine. I did my first water change with it in the tank today and for some odd reason half of it won’t open... I tested everything that I have test kits for and it all seems normal and nothing has changed, PH was at 7.8 but added some stuff in and now it’s at 8.1. Nitrites 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrates 0 Calcium400 Phosphates .25 Salinity 1.025. Any ideas??? I did the water change at around 12, left the house and came home to it still kinda closed. I’m leaving for vacation tmro morning at 5:30 am so any comments will help!!!IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That second picture is not mine not sure how it got in this thread...
[mod edit] Removed link to second image

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is the tank. Why is the ph so low? Salt water is pretty sturdy in this regard? Tell us lots of stuff and things

How old is the tank. Why is the ph so low? Salt water is pretty sturdy in this regard? Tell us lots of stuff and things

I set it up back in December. I think it was so low bc I hadn’t done a water change in a few weeks. It’s generally pretty stable nitrates wise so as long as it doesn’t rise I don’t rlly do a water change. At the moment there is just a clownfish and turbo snail it in. The clownie is super aggressive...she ate all her friends lol so it’s just her until I return her for some new fish

I’d assume it’ll be open tomorrow when the lights come on. It could have been anything, to include temp change, that had them close up. Zoas and palys will close up like this when irritated but will open up when the irritant is removed, like a crab eating algae away from their base.

I’d assume it’ll be open tomorrow when the lights come on. It could have been anything, to include temp change, that had them close up. Zoas and palys will close up like this when irritated but will open up when the irritant is removed, like a crab eating algae away from their base.

Ok i hope so, thx for the help ooo have my pet sitter update me since I’m leaving soon.

I’ve had zoas that only parts of the colony would open on. 2 weeks isn’t bad. If they don’t open soon just move them somewhere with low light and less water flow when they open try moving where you want them. I had a colony of brown button polyps that didn’t open for over a month and suddenly they all opened and we’re fine. You’ll be able to tell if something is seriously wrong. They will stretch, turn transparent or start growing algae on them

Back
Top Bottom