Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Steve, I think you have said in the past that good water flow will help with dealing with cyano too? I had a bad problem with my tank and have since started using RO water and added a 3rd PH. I cut back on feeding and have tried to limit the amount of flake foods and such. Not sure if store bought frozen is any better though.

I can tell things are better since the flow in the front of the tank is a lot better. I have had some glued frags break loose lately and they always end up on the left side of the tank. This is where the cyno starts too. Is this just flow issue or would this still be indicative of a chemical problem with the water(overfeeding or dry foods)?

I do still get some growth on some LR but it is really on the substrate. Maybe I should try one of the filter pads in the sump you have mentioned before?

Old 05-21-2004, 06:43 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
Is this just flow issue or would this still be indicative of a chemical problem with the water(overfeeding or dry foods)?
It's a combination thereof. If you did not use anything to remove the PO4 that probabley caused it initially, it takes a bit of time for the system to burn through it natuarly. Manual syphoning works well. If you maintain the chem, watch the feedings as you have been and reduce the nutrient, it's just a matter of time before it crash's. It will start taking on a rusty blood brown color when it begins to die off.

Quote:
I do still get some growth on some LR but it is really on the substrate. Maybe I should try one of the filter pads in the sump you have mentioned before?
A polyfilter will definately help as well as removing a few other unwanted elements you didn't know you have. PO4 granular sponges work well too. As far as that one corner, I would try to angle the nozzle head on the PH to see if you can get a bit more flow to that area.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 06:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Their is a new product from CaribSea called Phos-buster that claims to remove 1ppm po4 per treatment. Has anyone used this yet, and is it reef safe?? My boss just ordered a bunch of it and I want to try it out but I don't know anyone who has experience with it. It's a liquid based treatment with 2 parts A and B.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Remember no quick fixes so just one water change with good quality water may be just the beginning. Tap water is the worst.....
50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I was starting to have a cyano problem and then something odd happened. My false percs ate it all.

I was worried at first, but for some reason they seem to like it. Every time some shows up, they eat it.

odd....
Old 05-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

For the past two weeks I have been doing a 5g water change every other day using R/O water and I couldn't be more amazed at the results. The Cyano is visibly hindered in it's growth, and my corals are more open and colorful than ever. I have always been hesitant to get an R/O system because I didn't think it was really necasary, but I sure am a believer now!
Old 05-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

stupid question...what does cyano look like?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #18
steve-s

Won't learn if you don't ask....

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Thats not from your tank Steve is it? We know you don't have these kind of problems.
Its ugly stuff, glad its going away in my tank.
Great shot by the way.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:08 PM   #20
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Thats not from your tank Steve is it? We know you don't have these kind of problems.
Its ugly stuff, glad its going away in my tank.
Great shot by the way.
Not mine.... LOL The original URL is http://reef.geddis.org/p/1392b-red-slime-algae.jpg

Mine is http://underthec.com

Cheers
Steve

Tags
bacteria, cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com