Cyano Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have what I believe to be a major Cyano bact. infection that has a strangle hold on my tank. I was told by my lfs to use an antibacterial medication but it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all. This is a 30g reef with about 7" DSB and 50 lbs of live rock, 4 power heads, a 29g fuge with 4" DSB and macro. I run a small skimmer about 16 hours a day(it was off when I treated with the antibact.) I recently borrowed a UV filter from a friend, will that do anything?? What can I do??? please help!!

Thanks,
Karl

I am in a battle with cyno and the key is nutrient removal. More efficient skimming, more frequent water changes with clean r/o water, switching to r/o water if you are using tap, siphoning off what you can get frequently, straining the packing fluid from the frozen food, cutting back on feeding, etc.... These are the things that will help. The main thing is nutrient removal from your water.
What are your nitrate and po4 readings? How much dark sludge are you getting from your skimmer daily?
With the above, plus I added powerheads, It looks as though I'm beginning to beat it.

According to my basic saltwater test kit my nitrate is 0, Im ashamed to admit I don't have a phosphate test kit yet. My skimmer puts out a decent amount of sludge, about a collection cup a week. Every week or two I do a 5g water change but that is with tap water.

Thats it I'll bet, the tap water. You may want to check in to a RO unit. That would probably solve the problem. Tap water usually contains a ton of PO4 among other things. Testing your source water would confirm.
At least check with your lfs. I know ours sells RO water.

According to my basic saltwater test kit my nitrate is 0, Im ashamed to admit I don't have a phosphate test kit yet. My skimmer puts out a decent amount of sludge, about a collection cup a week. Every week or two I do a 5g water change but that is with tap water.

I am in a huge battle with Cyno as well, just did 3 30% water changes over about a week and a half, I cut way back on my feedings, and I bought a skimmer that is rated for well above my tank size. Since I've done all that the Cyno had gotten WORSE!!. I use RO, but recent tests reveal that its about time for a new membrane.

I still have high trates of about 60 ppm, but am doing another 50 gal water change this weekend.

Any other ideas quarryshark? I read some inconculsive studies about the use of Hydrogen Peroxide to get rid of algae and Cyno, but I'm scared to dose my tank with it.

Well, honestly I'm no expert. I'm just sharing things I am doing and they seem to be working. I just purchased a monster skimmer too. I'm hoping that will give it the final punch. Might want to run carbon for a little while, that may help as well as siphoning what you can get out every day.
As for treating the tank with any kind of meds, I know its tempting, but thats not really fixing the source. Besides the fact it may harm you livestock.
I also changed all the filters and the membrane on my RO. They were pretty skanky.

One of the biggest contributors will be inorganic (testable) and organic (untestable) phosphates. Nitrate will feed it plenty once it gets a foothold but if you can eliminate the PO4, the cyano will die off with or without (better without :wink: ) the elevated NO3.

Get a quality PO4 granular sponge that can be bagged and placed in a decent flow area (sump or canister) and keep changing it out every few days. Once the levels are below 0.5 ppm, it can be left in longer to work on the organic PO4 and any possible silcates as well. I would highly recommend Seachems beaded product. Works like a dream.

Cheers
Steve

I used something called "Cemi-Clean" that killed it all in about 48 hours. It cost $13 for enough to treat 200 gallons. My tank is 16... lol

Everyone gave me crap for using the anti-biotics but I'd like to point out, they all still have Cyano in their tanks... while I do not. All my fish are fine, all my feather dusters, snails, crabs, and coraline algea, etc... I even found a worm now.... I never had coral though... the product says it's reef safe but, like I said, I have no coral so I can't vouch for it being coral safe.

Pain Devine said:
I have no coral so I can't vouch for it being coral safe.
The only thing it has ever damaged that I have heard of is some types of zoanthuds. Not sure of the exact species though.

As far as your success (luck?) with the antibiotic or other product(s), your nutrient may have been marginal. Products like these treat the symptom , not the cause. I would hope that people continue to advise against the use of these types of "quick cures" albeit in a polite and respectful manner.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, I think you have said in the past that good water flow will help with dealing with cyano too? I had a bad problem with my tank and have since started using RO water and added a 3rd PH. I cut back on feeding and have tried to limit the amount of flake foods and such. Not sure if store bought frozen is any better though.

I can tell things are better since the flow in the front of the tank is a lot better. I have had some glued frags break loose lately and they always end up on the left side of the tank. This is where the cyno starts too. Is this just flow issue or would this still be indicative of a chemical problem with the water(overfeeding or dry foods)?

I do still get some growth on some LR but it is really on the substrate. Maybe I should try one of the filter pads in the sump you have mentioned before?

ellisz said:
Is this just flow issue or would this still be indicative of a chemical problem with the water(overfeeding or dry foods)?
It's a combination thereof. If you did not use anything to remove the PO4 that probabley caused it initially, it takes a bit of time for the system to burn through it natuarly. Manual syphoning works well. If you maintain the chem, watch the feedings as you have been and reduce the nutrient, it's just a matter of time before it crash's. It will start taking on a rusty blood brown color when it begins to die off.

I do still get some growth on some LR but it is really on the substrate. Maybe I should try one of the filter pads in the sump you have mentioned before?
A polyfilter will definately help as well as removing a few other unwanted elements you didn't know you have. PO4 granular sponges work well too. As far as that one corner, I would try to angle the nozzle head on the PH to see if you can get a bit more flow to that area.

Cheers
Steve

Their is a new product from CaribSea called Phos-buster that claims to remove 1ppm po4 per treatment. Has anyone used this yet, and is it reef safe?? My boss just ordered a bunch of it and I want to try it out but I don't know anyone who has experience with it. It's a liquid based treatment with 2 parts A and B.

Remember no quick fixes so just one water change with good quality water may be just the beginning. Tap water is the worst..... 0X

I was starting to have a cyano problem and then something odd happened. My false percs ate it all.

I was worried at first, but for some reason they seem to like it. Every time some shows up, they eat it.

odd....

For the past two weeks I have been doing a 5g water change every other day using R/O water and I couldn't be more amazed at the results. The Cyano is visibly hindered in it's growth, and my corals are more open and colorful than ever. I have always been hesitant to get an R/O system because I didn't think it was really necasary, but I sure am a believer now!

Won't learn if you don't ask.... :wink:

1392b-red-slime-algae.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Thats not from your tank Steve is it? We know you don't have these kind of problems. :wink:
Its ugly stuff, glad its going away in my tank.
Great shot by the way.

Back
Top Bottom