Cyanobacteria or general algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kdpuffer said:
I'm battling similar issues and am going to be running some GFO. FYI when doing your water change scrub the algae off with a toothbrush and hold the syphon hose close to suck it out as it comes off. Depending on your test kit you may be getting inaccurate results, it doesn't take much phosphates to grow algae.

I do a detailed scrub with a small suction line. The test is Api i believe. I found my books the reading was 0.

Also the calcium reading was in the middle of the preferred ranges.

How much are these GFO's and what the best brand?

Sniperhank said:
I run BRS GFO. Is doing nicely with halting my hair algae outbreak as the tank inhabitants munch away at it.

Checking it

The API kit for phosphates is t very accurate, mine shows 0 buy I have to have some in order for the algae to grow. My buddy had the same issue and got a precise kit (don't recall the name) and he has since been able to monitor and control algae.

kdpuffer said:
The API kit for phosphates is t very accurate, mine shows 0 buy I have to have some in order for the algae to grow. My buddy had the same issue and got a precise kit (don't recall the name) and he has since been able to monitor and control algae.

Thanks;)

I know which one he has. I believe its the sane solvents.

I may get the GFO i saw one for 35$$

Ok so here is the friends tank. I have taken over the care of it. 70.5 gallon cylindrical tank with internal overflow into a sump. The sump looks very dirty.. I place two new carbon pouches in it before i went on vacation. I got back and she sent me these pictures.

I have api algicide.... The total volume is mid 60's. I have 15 gallons prepared to change out water tmrw. So what do you advise about this algae problem and as far as cleaning the dirty sump which pictures are also attached.

image-3302814291.jpg

image-1804119775.jpg

This one above was the last time i cleaned it.

image-2630000212.jpg

Ew

Sniperhank said:
Get out the scrub brush and go to town. Even this wont solve the problem. Its either overfeeding or non-ro/di water causing the issue.

What about the sump... Its filthy

Scrub away and water changes. I'm battling the same problem and it is all you can do. This one is actually mild compared to when I started battling mine. Cutting back on feeding is one of the biggest things. I feed my corals all kinds of different foods which ignited the issue. I actually had 8 inch long algae coming off my hob filter (which is there because the algae plugged up my overflow so badly I had to take the sump offline) and protein skimmer, which also got clogged. Cutting back on the feeding, manual removal of the algae, water changes, and using GFO has halted the algae's progression and I have begun to make headway.

Unhook the sump if possible and scrub the entire thing down. If not, atleast turn off the pumps and scrub it. Do a water change via the sump and turn the pumps back on.

Sniperhank said:
Scrub away and water changes. I'm battling the same problem and it is all you can do. This one is actually mild compared to when I started battling mine. Cutting back on feeding is one of the biggest things. I feed my corals all kinds of different foods which ignited the issue. I actually had 8 inch long algae coming off my hob filter (which is there because the algae plugged up my overflow so badly I had to take the sump offline) and protein skimmer, which also got clogged. Cutting back on the feeding, manual removal of the algae, water changes, and using GFO has halted the algae's progression and I have begun to make headway.

Unhook the sump if possible and scrub the entire thing down. If not, atleast turn off the pumps and scrub it. Do a water change via the sump and turn the pumps back on.

Ok so unplug the sump scrub it AND vacuum the gunk out of it?

Why mess with the sump? Algae growing in the sump will keep the nitrAtes and phosphates down. I would leave the sump alone. People make algae scrubbers on purpose. If you have algae in you sump, it will consume the nitrAtes and phosphates in a place that wont make your display look bad.

spoonman said:
Why mess with the sump? Algae growing in the sump will keep the nitrAtes and phosphates down. I would leave the sump alone. People make algae scrubbers on purpose. If you have algae in you sump, it will consume the nitrAtes and phosphates in a place that wont make your display look bad.

Ok.

Thanks!!!

Like stated, algae in the sump isnt a prob. Dont think i was clear as im at work currently. I would be more concerned about the detrius/gunk built up in this poorly managed sump. I know what mine looked like w/o a filter sock for 2 months and it was bad. Suck all that junk out of there as that is a nitrate factory.

Sniperhank said:
Like stated, algae in the sump isnt a prob. Dont think i was clear as im at work currently. I would be more concerned about the detrius/gunk built up in this poorly managed sump. I know what mine looked like w/o a filter sock for 2 months and it was bad. Suck all that junk out of there as that is a nitrate factory.

Ok thats what i thought. No scrubbing the sump just syphoning out gunk.

I hope it doesn't crash after this. You don't think i need to use API's algaecide? The problem i have is i can only clean it on fridays because thats the inly day shes there. It really is aggravating because i know it needs back to back RO replacement but i can only get to her each Friday.

Ok im here at her house. The internal overflow is full of algae. Where the teeth are for the water to fall through is like this weird neon green web like algae.

Gonna get to the sump vacuum it a bit and scrub the main display only.

Gonna change 15 gallons out.

I hope this helps because she has limited time where i can come by.

Want some pics? And i need help with all these wires going to different things in her sump. Gonna label them all today. I found the skimmer isn't working at all.

Sniperhank said:

Look at this on the other tank! Pulled it out of the internal overflow!

image-2316163076.jpg

image-2838748518.jpg

Whats that stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom