Cycling Hospital Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up a 10 gallon hospital tank a week ago today with 10 gallons of water from my display tank, and a penguin bio-wheel filter.

It's been running for 7 days now (empty) and the amonia is at 1.0.

The trouble is, I need it. I have a sick clown that needs to be treated, but can't put him in because of the high amonia.

Should I buy a chemical to neutralize the amonia and then put him in? If I do that, won't the amonia just eventually rise back up in a few days?

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Todd

In a QT tank if I am correct should not have to cycle.. First off what was added to make the ammonia spike so high? If nothing was added did you use the water from your Display Tank.. My first suggestion would be if you are using water from your display tank to tast it and see if the ammonia is that high there.. When setting up a QT If i am correct you would use water from your display tank and just do regular water changes in the qt to keep the levels low or non existant.. From my reading and research this has whats its gotten be to believe.. I hope the information that i give is correct.. If not please someone correct me as i dont want to give out bad info.. BTW ammonia removers dont work for Salt water.. the salt counteracts the chemicals in the remover..

HTH,
James

Most people use filter media from their main tank, which essentially "cycles" the tank immediately. Otherwise, I have found it difficult to maintain levels even with daily changes as I have tried a completely uncycled QT. The water transferred over doesn't hold much bacteria, and hence why there is ammonia.

One alternative would be to wait until is cycled enough by putting the biowheel in the sump or similar spot of your main tank to "seed". The other choice is to do large daily water changes, whatever amount is required to keep levels low. However, keep in mind that some meds require replacement after water changes (Coppersafe, etc.), I would try and keep parameters as stable as possible with minimal feedings and siphoning out any waste when doing changes.

Just like cj10488 said,

IMO Quarantine tanks should not be setup as regular tanks. I keep mine torn down and sanitized until next use... When a problem arises, I do a water change from the main tank to fill the QT, and then place the fish in there and medicate... This way, it is not an complete shock for the fish that you are transfering in there...I believe this is less stressful for the fish and the main tank benefits, because you are doing frequent water changes to help the QT stay in the right params....HTH

timbo2 - I agree. I like that method, too, but how long can the sick critters stay in the QT before amonia and things get too high? how frequently would you recommend water changes for a 10 gallon QT set up this way?

it would depend on the actual readings but for a 10 gal and 1 fish you could probably do 1-2 gallons every other day and be just fine. I would use water from the display tank as the replacement water for the QT and add the newly mixed water to the display tank. (I think thats what timbo was saying)

I don't keep a QT or hospital tank up all the time either, however, I do keep some filter media (floss normally) on the main tank so that it is seeded for any necessary occasion. This way I can add it to the filter when setting up the QT, and the tank is for the most part "cycled" as in the establishment of the nitrogen cycle. This takes a lot of the panic out of having to do many water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm, although you will still have to monitor the water and change as needed.

But, this is water under the bridge as you are passed this point! You will have to monitor and do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite as close to 0ppm as possible. There is no way to determine what x quantity this may be, you may have to experiment the first few changes to see what is effective. Remember, you may have to replace meds depending on what you use.

As others are saying, I believe 1 or 2 gallons every other day should be fine...

The suggestion of the filter floss is a great idea... I don't use a filter, just a powerhead in mine...

Back
Top Bottom