cyst on damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin-tastic Aq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed today that my damsels have csyt on them (4 days in the tank )
so i went to the fish store and asked the "Fish Keeper" what he thinks it may be .
now the other damsels in his tank have the same thing
little pink cyst and he tells me it's normal because of the way the fish were acclimated.
Does this sound right ? it's a nice store with a very high volume and usually high quality stuff , I don't know if the guy has no interest in talking with me or he just dont know, dont want to admit he sold me ill fish ?
what concerns me is cycling a tank with sick fish just dont sound like a good idea

little pink cyst and he tells me it's normal because of the way the fish were acclimated.

This is not a sign of poor acclimation, nor is it normal for a healthy fish. It is a sign of infection, most likely from the stress of being caught, transported, injury etc... or from the rising ammonia levels in the tank. I strongly recommend you remove the fish and continue with a >>fishless cycle<<. These fish should be removed to a quarantine tank and treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic like e-mycin.

what concerns me is cycling a tank with sick fish just dont sound like a good idea

It is generally accepted that cycling a tank with any fish at all...is a bad idea ;)

the thing is the Fish had the same signs in there tanks at the dealer .
but i will treat these fish to the best of my ability

thanks

Back
Top Bottom