dead tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bre's dad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just moved an established (up 1.5 yr) 75 into a 120. Moved filter, media, substrate (less than 1" thick), water. Added more substrate. About a month later, I went down one morning to find everything dead. No signs of stress, disease or trama. They have been eating. There was a slippery dick wrasse & a domino damsel. Had a lionfish, but last him earlier in the week. He stopped eating about 3 days earlier. Other than that, all has been well. No ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spikes. No temperature spikes or anything abnormal. Any ideas? PH & spec grav. are normal. THey are the day before. Filtration is from a Fluval 404 & Quicksand 2 flulidizedbed filter. Any ideas?

At this point, I'm dumping all the water & letting the sand dry out. The sand filter is being replaced with a wet/dry (homemade.) Though I don't blame the sand filter for loosing the tank, its getting replaced anyway...

Hmmm....I would have to suspect that you must have had something change. It seems like it could have been a sharp ammonia spike due to die off, imediately after you moved the setup. Did you test daily? It does seem odd that it took a month before you noticed a problem. I would expect the nitrogen problems to come immediately after the move. For the new water, did you use R/O same as your usual water, or was it different water. Sometimes, there can be immeasurable changes with different water sources. That is all, I can think of. Sorry it happened though. It is always so sad :oops:

I just use tap water (RO filter is on the list, but low). I use the same water in my reef, and I've seen no trouble with it. I test every 3-4 days in that tank. I saw a small spike when I moved everyone into the new tank, but nothing unexpected. Maybe the salt water gods were angered by something.

Is it possible that the tank could have been contaminated by a chemical agent or aerosol fumes...household cleaners, hairspray, paintfumes etc. Something like that could cause an overnight kill off if enough of the stuff got in the water. Just a thought.

Its possible I guess. My only problem is that my reef is sitting about 6 feet away, but it wasn't affected.

sorry to hear about the tank. I have no idea of what could have gone wrong. Sounds like you did everything right. I would let the tank be for 6 to 8 weeks while you onitor levels and do water changes. Then maybe slowly start to add a fish or two and see how thy do. Good Luck! Lando

Was the 120 a new tank? Maybe there was a problem with the tank before the move?

Just a thought

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom