Dosing with Cupramine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting ready to give my QT a dose of cupramine. Most have advised to get a copper test kit to carefully watch the levels. Problem is, I can't find one! I've looked at petsmart and Petco.

Can someone please tell me exactly what I'm looking for. Is it something I can get at the hardware store or is it aquarium specific?

It's aquarium specific. If you can't find it retail then check marine depot.com or bulkreefsupply.com.

So I finally got my copper test kit and am ready to give them a dose of cupramine. I am only treating a blue devil damsel (exposed to the ich 2 months ago, but never showed any symptoms) and a bicolor blenny that I just got 3 weeks ago and have been quarrantining along side the blue devil. Neither has shown any signs of sickness. My DT has now been fallow for 9 weeks, so I am looking forward to moving fish back over to it.

My quetion is, how long long do the fish stay in QT after I dose the cupramine? (I'm already finished witht he prazipro)

Bad news: another round of ich! Good news: I've had a sponge filter down in my sump for about 2 months so setting up the hospital tank was fairly easy. I set it up with the air tubing and put in a 20 gallon tank. Filled about half with water from my main tank and the rest with fresh RODI water.

I've only got 3 fish. 1 was easy to catch. It had the ich and died shortly after the transfer. The other 2 are impossible to catch. Another is so fast and I've got so much rock, I can't get to him. The bicolor blenny runs straight to his hole in his rock any time I approach the tank. I have picked up that rock shook it and I can't get him out! Finally I just moved him rock and all to the hospital tank. I'm hoping that when he comes out for food I can grab the rock and remove it. No luck on that yet and it has been 4 days. Thankfully he isn't showing any signs of ich so I'm not in a huge rush to treat him.

I used this tank with the last go round back in sept-nov. I treated fish w copper. Once I moved the fish back to the display I drained the hospital tank left sitting outside for a few months until I needed it again. I cleaned it out w bleach and rinsed it well. dried it out and now have set up as described above. I have 2 plastic huts/rocks for the fish to hide in. They went through the first copper treatment, sat outside, got cleaned too.

Now to my question: could any copper still be in the seals of that tank or in the plastic huts/rocks? After I put the live rock and blenny in, it occurred to me that might be a no-no. I was planning to move that live rock back to the DT once the blenny comes out. I know better than to treat with any meds while it is in there, but I'm wondering if the rock has been exposed in any way. I also stuck a power head in there. Wondering if either can go back to DT eventually?

Seachem makes a copper remover called cuprisorb which will remove copper from the tank.

I'm not worried about the tank itself. I'm wondering if there were any trace amounts that could have been in the silicone and now in the power head and live rock

Back
Top Bottom