Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dying Snails?

My water is all good except my PH is Low (8.0), all my fish are active and fine but my snails keep dying... Why?!!
I did notice that my hinges is rusted and was leaking into my tank (problem fixed)... Could that have been the cause?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdIZzY
My water is all good except my PH is Low (8.0), all my fish are active and fine but my snails keep dying... Why?!!
I did notice that my hinges is rusted and was leaking into my tank (problem fixed)... Could that have been the cause?
Can anyone help me please?!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm in the same boat. All my levels are fine. I started out w/ about 7-8 turbo snails and only 2 are left.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think the rust in the tank could have been the issue since it's iron, not copper (which would kill inverts). Well there's not much info about it. Where'd you get the snails from? How'd you acclimate them? When you say good parameters what does that really mean...what are your parameters?

And to gpd605x, turbo snails will eat algae super fast then when it's all gone, they can starve so it's advisable to wrap some dried seaweed around a rock to feed them.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
I don't think the rust in the tank could have been the issue since it's iron, not copper (which would kill inverts). Well there's not much info about it. Where'd you get the snails from? How'd you acclimate them? When you say good parameters what does that really mean...what are your parameters?

And to gpd605x, turbo snails will eat algae super fast then when it's all gone, they can starve so it's advisable to wrap some dried seaweed around a rock to feed them.
Don't know the exact numbers but nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all good. Never got tested for calcium and alkalinity and whatever else... Does snails need those at a certain as well? My shrimp and hermits are still active.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you don't know exactly what your nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia readings are? This is very important. I recommend you getting your own test kit if you don't have one. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and <30 would be good. If you have a quality salt, it should contain those essential elements like for the shrimp w/ molting and the snail with the building of it's shell...If the shrimp and hermits are okay I'd think a fish is eating it or a hermit is stealing its shell and eating it.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
So you don't know exactly what your nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia readings are? This is very important. I recommend you getting your own test kit if you don't have one. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and <30 would be good. If you have a quality salt, it should contain those essential elements like for the shrimp w/ molting and the snail with the building of it's shell...If the shrimp and hermits are okay I'd think a fish is eating it or a hermit is stealing its shell and eating it.
My numbers are there, I go by color tho... My shrimp has molted a few times and my snails are still in the shell just upside down and when I turn them over they stay in the same spot until I finally remove it.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a color card to read the parameters? Are you using test strips? Test strips are inaccurate and liquid test kits are a lot better. Some snails, when they fall over, can't get back up so they just die...pretty funny yet sad..What are these snails? A couple of my ceriths have died this way.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, a pH of 8.0 is not low.
SushiLuckyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ideal pH for a reef tank is 8.2-8.4, but for a FOWLR, 8.0 is fine, like sushiluckyfin said.

- Winston Churchill

Tags
dyi, dying, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com